Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Share folder from Win2K Server to XP Home  (Read 3866 times)

waterfall

Share folder from Win2K Server to XP Home
« on: February 19, 2007, 02:35:35 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to share a Win2K Server folder to XP Home. Can't even see the Win2K machine when I go to 'view workgroup computers.'  Here are some more details.......

+Connection goes over router, but all firewalls turned off.

All properties in local area connections seem correct on both machines, like:
+Client for Microsoft Networks
+File and Print Sharing
+TCP/IP.

I've run the 'Set up a home or small office network' wizard in XP Home. Workgroup names match on both machines. Folder on Win2K Server is set for sharing with user name and permissions.  User accounts are created on both machines, but I'm doing everything from administrator login now.

Are these two systems (Win2K Server and XP Home) even compatible for file sharing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 03:22:04 PM by waterfall »

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Share folder from Win2K Server to XP Home
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:08:31 PM »
Hopefully this can help ;).

8-)fffreak
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

waterfall

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:30:28 PM »
Thanks fffreak! That was a big help.  I read many online tutorials, but the one you linked actually held the solution.  My settings were all correct, but I needed to enter the following at the run prompt:

\\ComputerName\ShareName

After that, the share appeared in Network Neighborhood.  Go figure.  Thanks a bunch :-)

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:17:58 PM »
Your welcome ;). Happy to help! ;D

8-)fffreak
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.