Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ctfmon.exe  (Read 2174 times)

M1CH431

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • DuffMan!!!
    ctfmon.exe
    « on: February 22, 2007, 05:38:02 PM »
    Well, I was looking around CCleaners various tools and utilities and was using the start up one. I was looking through the list and found ctfmon.exe in the System 32 folder. I searched it up on the internet and found that it was part of microsoft Office but some sites where saying it was a virus/trojan etc. Anyone know what it really is? I've never picked it up in a virus scan so Im assuming it isnt, but you never know these days.

GX1_Man

Re: ctfmon.exe
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »
    There have been reports of misinformation being posted on the Internet for some time.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 08:28:51 PM »
      M1CH431..... Yes that particular one could be either ......By that I mean if you have any of the Windows office products or have any language packs installed......you will expect to see it..... located in the folder C:\Windows\System32.

But if you find it elsewhere
      ctfmon.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm!

Hope this helps you.

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:29:08 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 08:52:54 AM »
      Many people are confused by this file.
      If you're running MS Office, it often runs at startup, and you can't easily disable it.
      If you want to disable it, I do have a way.
      As dl65 said, if it's anywhere else or you don't have MS Office or and language packs, it's probably a virus or other nasty.