Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems witha SONY VAIO Desktop  (Read 19363 times)

GX1_Man

Re: Problems witha SONY VAIO Desktop
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 04:56:15 PM »
Corporate licensees have super quick access. 1-800-Microsoft is not the number for that.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
    In the hopes of generating some more suggestions and also in my continueing quest to solve this problem myself i ask the following. Does anyone have experience with a software program called "Reg Cure' http://www.windows-error-repair.com/index.php?k=windows+xp&gclid=CK2Z39Lyz4sCFR6AWAodqkJLGg Although as is obvious i cannot use the online check process they offer (as the Vaio is not capable of going online yet)--got to think positive. However they appear to offer a free download which i could use this computer to obtain then transport it either on a floppy or a cd-r to the Vaio.Is there any possibility that doing that will alter things or because the Vaio is hanging where it does will it have no effect? No comments were recieved re the Solaris point. Please don't ababdon me on this one folks. I enjoy a challenge but i do strive for success.Because of the circumstances of my aquisition of this computer it is possible that it may have sat idle for some time. So in case the CMOS had been affected by an uncharged battery (haven't opened it up to check if there even is a battery installed) i pluggd it in and let it run for over 5 hours.Nothing changed. true north

GX1_Man

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 07:43:21 PM »
    A lot of those "Registry Fix" programs are little more than voodoo, and a price is later introduced to fix the things it identifies. CCleaner is safe and free. Save your pennies.  ;)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 07:30:41 AM »
      GX1_Man,thanks for the input.pretty well what i too was thinking.did an online exchange with another one called "Registry Smart'.The whole conversation was a sales pitch for their product and when i asked if he felt the problem was a "registry related "problem his answer was "i think so"--not very positive i thought.However back to the fundemental question--given you people are really devoted to help and not trying to sell something--do you think it COULD BE a registry problem. if you don't think it could make the situation worse i certainly will try CCleaner and report back ? Will it work if the computer is stalling as the Vaio is or must it be functioning but with errors--if you get my drift? true north

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 04:48:01 PM »
      Give CCleaner a try and then post back.  ;)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 08:54:17 AM »
        GX1_Man,ok so maybe there is something i am not aware of but i need an explanation.Now that i have CCleaner on a floppy as a downloaded .exe file from their site how do i get it to run on the Vaio that is stuck where it is? Given that i cannot extract the setup function from the floppy on that computer? Given that i cannot access any of the functions that are contained in CCleaner via any of the command functions?I have read the FAQ and help pages on their site and it all seems to pertain to being able to access the program on the computer that it is installed on (as per my observation in my last post).Comments please that will permit my use of CCleaner on the Vaio? truenorth

GX1_Man

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 12:54:48 PM »
        That file is too large to fit on a single floppy.

Can you start the computer is safe mode? If so, do it that way.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 09:51:47 AM »
          GX1_Man,
          1.No the CCleaner .exe file is NOT too large it is just under 1.44 mb (probably so it will fit on a floppy). However that is an unusable file in that mode as to use the program it must be installed from the .exe file (which obviously would be too large for a floppy). However even if i were able to open it from a setup function from the floppy it would still not be on the computer i needs to be on.Even if i were able to extract it and record the software to a cd-r disk i still don't see what good that does me as the Vaio is not able to do anything with it at this point.
          2.i have tried many ways to try and get into safe mode and thus far been unable. perhaps you have a suggestion on the Vaio as to something i could try to get into safe mode?
          thanks and standing by. truenorth

GX1_Man

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 04:38:54 AM »
          CCleaner is 2.6 megs.

http://ccleaner.com/download/

Where did you download it from?

Have you tried disconnecting ALL add in cards to see if you can boot up properly?

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 05:43:35 PM »
            GX1_Man, comments=the location i got CCleaner is exactly the same site you link me to. howver the difference in the file size is that for some reason the version i downloaded is 1.36.0.430 and it is around 454kb according to the properties on the file on the floppy.However in regards to your question re "can you get into safe mode"=i ask you to reread my post number 1 on the thread and you will see the clear answer to that question there.now back to downloading the CCleaner (regardless of the version) isn't it going to be a setup file and require an operating computer to open and install it? as you know the Vaio is not in that state yet. So what would be the point in downloading the CCleaner? Now to the "ALL add in cards"=i assume you are talking about hardware pci,etc cards that may have been added since mfgr? If that is so an examination of the rear of the tower indicates only one of the originally closed slots has been removed and it is the lowest one where a 56k modem card is installed. Everything else as far as i can tell is factory. Do you see any benifit potential to my removing the modem card? I can if you think it might change anything. By the way just to give you as much detail as possible i did use both the cd-rw and the dvd-rom to attempt to use the windows xp cd and it seemed to be detected and run on both drives. Standing by,truenorth

GX1_Man

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 05:52:54 PM »
            If you can boot a CD, then you might try a repair install.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Make sure it is the same version as what is on the machine.

No danger in removing the modem.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 07:36:13 AM »
              GX1_Man,i have read the linked web site. i have endeavored to follow the instructions that that info provides.however there comes a point when i am doing it that brings me to a window asking for me to insert a "please insert the disk labeled windows automated system recovery disk into the floppy drive.press any key when ready' I don't have a floppy to put in the floppy drive.some how (don't know if i can ever repeat it--i have gotten into a window (1st time i have ever seen it)-via windows setup . seems like i got there from "press any key to boot from cd'--however i have had that command many times before but it never generated the window that i now have displayed. what the window displays is "setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed on your system,or you have chosen to manually specify an adapter .Currently ,setup will load support for the followingmass storage device(s)"
              next line "<none>
              next line* "to specify additional SCSI adapters,cd-rom drivers or special disk controllers for use with windows including those for which you have a device supoort disk from a mass storage device manufacturer ,press S
              next line*if you do not have any device support disks from a mass storage device manufacturer or do not want to specify additional mass storage devices for use with windows ,press enter '
              bottom of the window= S=specify additional device,enter =continue,F3 =exit."
              Not knowing how i got here nor what it is saying nor what to do i have left the computer on with the window displayed until you read and digest this and tell me what you think it is saying ,what it means and what you suggest i do.I sure hope this means something that will advance the situation.Please be ultra cautious as to what you believe or think my level of computer savvy and knowledge is. i believe myself to be at that potentially dangerous stage of knowing just enough to get myself into trouble. thanks, standing by, truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 06:43:09 PM »
                GX1_Man (and anyone else that can contribute). As i always shut down all computers in use at bed time i did not get a reply to my last post prior to the time to do that. So i clicked on enter of the 3 options listed. The end result was that i again ended up at "setup is starting windows" where it again stopped. i hope i am not being abandoned on this one. I notice that currently it is the most viewed thread on the "computer software" forum thus i feel a great number of people seem interested in this topic and are watching it's progress.So come on guys/gals let us hear some new ideas.  :) truenorth
                I find it almost impossible to believe that with almost 570 "views" that there is not someone out there who has some inovative ideas as to what the problem could be (even GX1_Man seems to have given up).
                P.P.S I have just reread all the posts in this thread to see if i have missed or failed to do anything that any of you may have suggested. One item did get my attention. In post 12 the Administrator reffered to "possible problems" arising out of the O/S disk being one that contains "SP/2". Well the fact is the one i have does contain that file.However as you can appreciate one does not have all kinds of issues of the O/S (in fact given todays process) it is most often that you don't have any O/S on a disk you just have that marvelous key that the mfgr. and microsoft  attatch to the case. so if that is a the root of the problem with the reinstall i don't see anything i can do about that?
                P.P.P.S Just in case followers and would be helpers think this is an unusual or rare problem please go and look at the posts at this link i just found  http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1092870888 .
                « Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 10:01:52 AM by truenorth »

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »
                   :) ;D As of 4:52 pm est my Sony Vaio is now a fully functioning computer. i want to thank all of those that stayed with me (both the helpers and the viewers on the post). I am very proud to report that NO outside help resolved the issue. It was simple perserverance and stubourness (plus some inovative thinking) that eventually solved it. I would urge all that get discouraged (given the length of time needed) to perservere.truenorth

GX1_Man

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2007, 04:50:15 PM »
                  And what was the solution to the riddle?