Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dual boot?  (Read 4883 times)

Deanna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    dual boot?
    « on: February 22, 2007, 05:20:28 PM »
    I was originally running Windows 2000 on my computer. I then installed Windows XP on the computer, hoping it would override Windows 2000. It didn't, so now when I start up, it gives me the option to either start Windows 2000 or Windows XP. I was wondering how I can delete Windows 2000 from my computer and run Windows XP only because having both systems on the computer takes up a lot of space. Any ideas?

M1CH431

Hopeful
    • DuffMan!!!
      Re: dual boot?
      « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 05:27:41 PM »
      When you go into My computer do you see two hard drives or only one? A little more info would be great.

Deanna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 05:32:11 PM »
        When you go into My computer do you see two hard drives or only one? A little more info would be great.

They share just one C drive.

Nancy_O

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 05:39:34 PM »
        Sounds like you have two partitions on "c"  could you not format drive and put a clean install of windows xp on it.  all the info about formatting and such is on this great site so good luck got to go....

M1CH431

Hopeful
        • DuffMan!!!
          « Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 05:40:12 PM »
          So you have both operating systems installed on the one drive? You might just want to, Back up all your important files, and format the hard drive and do a clean install.

Deanna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
            « Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 05:54:38 PM »
            Thanks for all the help. I'll definitely do that.

M1CH431

Hopeful
            • DuffMan!!!
              « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 06:11:14 PM »
              If you need any help let us know.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »
              This should be fun...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rockerest

Hopeful
                • Yes
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 11:09:19 PM »
              When I changed over from XP pro to Vista Ultimate I used the vista installer to create another partition on my HD where I stored all of my personal stuff.  Then I installed Vista over the XP partition and left the partitions there.  I now have an "OS" partition and a "Data" partition.  Works nicely.

You could also just move your data back onto the OS partition and then wipe the second partition.

But that was kind of meaningless.  Just a note if you don't have enough room to back up (I had nearly 60gb).

-rock
              In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
              Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
              Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.