Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: . Hard Drive Gone  (Read 3501 times)

Hoss Scholz

. Hard Drive Gone
« on: October 12, 2004, 11:44:36 AM »
Hey, well basically my hard drive has disappeared. I tried to boot up my computer and then it said to insert boot disk. So what I did was put the Windows XP Pro CD in, but then when I tried to format the Hard Drive, it said that no Hard Drive could be detected on my system. I tried going through BIOS and even that couldn't detect my HD. I hope someone could PLEASE lend me some advice on this topic, thank you!!

Raptor

Re: . Hard Drive Gone
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 12:00:15 PM »
See if all cables are still properly connected. Try switching IDE and power cables.

Hoss Scholz

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 09:54:14 PM »
I checked that, and yes the IDE cables are okay. I put in another HD of a friends and it responded, I am thinking the HD I have is just ruined, but I'm not sure. Would there be any possible way to put it in another computer as a slave or something and just clear it out, and then boot from XP cd? Thank you

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 10:47:19 AM »
Visit hard drive manufacturer's website and download tools that run from a FD or CD.  The tools will tell you if the HD is bad.

Hoss Scholz

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 10:49:11 AM »
Hey, well I ended up just getting a new Hard Drive; mine was broken. Thank you for all the help and advice though, this site was great and I will definately come back again if and when I need some assistance.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 11:03:41 AM »
Just for our information, what brand of hard drive?   Was it still under warranty?

Hoss Scholz

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 11:55:29 AM »
I don't know if it was still under a warranty, because I purchased it from a friend. It was a Western Digital 30 gig HD though.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 12:44:43 PM »
There should be a date printed on the hard drive. Or a sticker that will tell you when the warranty will expire.

Assuming this is your only drive, have you set the jumper to SINGLE?