Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Verizon USB720 Modem - Use for FAX  (Read 3960 times)

Billydav

Verizon USB720 Modem - Use for FAX
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:44:26 AM »
Does anyone know how to use the new Verizon Wireless internet broadband modem (USB720) to send and receive FAXes?  I have Win XP Pro SR2 with the latest updates and have installed windows proprietary fax software.

The modem has its own telephone number and I have been told by 2 Verizon Wireless sales people that it can work with FAX, but no one seems to know how.

Any help would be appreciated.

Badgenut :-/

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Verizon USB720 Modem - Use for FAX
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:11:36 AM »
The sales people are completely ignorant.  This is a digital (broadband) modem.  Fax requires an analogue (telephone) modem.

Your broadband splitter separates your phone line into two "streams" - analogue for voice/fax (i.e. normal telephone use) and digital for broadband use.  Your USB720 is plugged into the digital stream so there's no way it could send a fax in the conventional way.  Your options are either 1. buy a normal analogue modem (which you can use simultaneously with the broadband modem) or 2. use (e.g.) an email-to-fax gateway.  That's normally a paid service - see Google for more info.

If you want to send and receive a lot of faxes, you might think about buying a dedicated fax machine.

The moral of this story is never listen to sales people.  Always come here first.  :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:12:14 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos