Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router connection correct?  (Read 4286 times)

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Router connection correct?
    « on: March 05, 2007, 03:23:41 PM »
    Greetings everyone,
    I've been trying to set up a network at home but can't seem to do it  :(
    I have 2 computers both running Windows XP (one is home addition and the other is Media edition).  I've recently signed up with a new Wireless company which is  beta testing (I'm one of the testers, so my service is free for now).  They provided me with a device that connects my main computer (office) to the service and have also provided me with a password so that it can act as a router for my other computer (son's room) to connect to the internet.  I also have a cable modem (Comcast) physically connected to the office computer (main computer).  I've connected the  wirless device directly into an ethernet connection on the office computer.  I bought a wireless card for the other computer (it connects into a USB port; looks like a flash drive).  I have been able to connect to the internet on my son's computer using the wireless service but, can't seem to get the two computers to communicate with each other.  Does the device (acting as router) have to be physically connected to the cable modem?  I've run the networking wizard on both computers and made the printer and files available for sharing.  I've also added the IP addresses of both computers on the firewall's accepted list on both computers and disabled Windows firewall.
    I wanted to avoid plugging the router into the cable modem because if cable service goes out doesn't that mean I wouldn't have any connection to the internet?  Or , would it still be possible to get wireless service?
    Thanks

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      Re: Router connection correct?
      « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:39:09 AM »
      I do not want to appear rude but if you have a problem as a beta tester you should be able to report the problem to the testing company as that is the whole object of testing.
       to find out the problems,
       to possibly advise on rectification of the problems,
       to test for problems.

we are volunteering our time for free to help people who have problems
       not support industrial commercial companies or businesses who are out to make money from freebees
      Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        Re: Router connection correct?
        « Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 08:54:31 AM »
        Too late, Uesque's you are rude  >:(
        My problem was resolved through another forum (Windows config problem).
        If you don't know the answer then don't post.