Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: extra space I can't eliminate  (Read 2941 times)

tricia

extra space I can't eliminate
« on: March 08, 2007, 02:24:27 PM »
Hi there.  A while ago, someone in our company found a script for rotating images that works great for our purposes.  However, it keeps some extra space below the images that I cannot seem to get rid of.  I've tried sizing the td smaller than the image sizes themselves (heck, you never know), but beyond that, my command of html is somewhat limited.  Here's the link http://www.alpineer.com/index.html and it's the "New Arrivals" section in right-nav.  If you view the source, you'll see that it was some Javascript created by computerhope.com, so I thought I'd come to the horse's mouth to see if there's a solution.

I 'inherited' the code from a prior designer and hope that we're allowed to be using it in this manner.  If not, please let me know!

Thanks!

-Tricia
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 02:25:05 PM by tricia »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: extra space I can't eliminate
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:18:45 AM »
I see only a little space below the box for New Arrivals and that looks fine, in my opinion.  And, that space is the same in Firefox 1.5.0.10 and IE 7.  Where there is a difference in space is above the box for New Arrivals.  In IE7, the space between the drop box, showing Shop By Brand by default, is much bigger than in Firefox.  It still looks OK, in my opinion, but you might want to review that.  Sorry, I can't take time now to look at your code.

The only thing I noticed that I would want to make a higher priority than the variation in space above New Arrivals is the way the Register now! link near the middle of the page appears in Firefox. On my 17 inch monitor, set at 1024x768 resolution, it's slightly overlaps the text below it, which is "All photos by Jen Jefferson".

I'd also want to do some image optimization.  Product images on pages such as http://www.alpineer.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=8072!mar03 are much larger files than necessary.  You're wasting some bandwidth there and slowing your pages down.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 11:30:09 AM »
I'll agree with what soybean says.
Looks great in Firefox 2.0.0.2, in IE7 it doesn't look the same.
Too much space above the box, and the images took a long time to download.
Things were generally more spaced out.
It's no good me looking at the code, I have no idea.
Oh, and the text soybean mentioned overlaps for me too, with 1280x800 resolution on a 15.4".

tricia

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 05:15:11 PM »
Thanks folks! I appreciate the remarks and input. I have to take some time and look at it more closely but a couple things off the top o' my head. I don't know much about Firefox. Downloaded it at work to test/play and not a huge fan personally. I design in Dreamweaver 8 but am not familiar with how you're supposed to write code to please everyone (i.e., all browsers). I hear that's not possible anyway. Couldn't explain the spaces around my search box, as that's also code that provides no ability or indication to change the size around the box.

As for images and how they look, our e-commerce server (a company that incorporates e-commerce, POS, inventory, purchasing, etc. - it's huge) has a hand in that. They've been unable to make some of these images correct themselves. At their mercy at the moment.

The site loads much faster for me on IE than it does in Firefox. Perhaps it's the hardware. But Firefox is much more sluggish on my computer. Also, things are more spaced out on my computer viewing it through Firefox. Odd huh?

Anyway, I have to flee. More thoughts are totally welcome! Especially if someone wants to give the code a go and figure out how to get rid of my spaces.

Thanks!

-Tricia