Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Supreme commander performance issues  (Read 12954 times)

Supreme commander performance issues
« on: March 10, 2007, 02:08:21 AM »
I have an Athlon64 3500XP overclocked from 2.2GHZ to 2.57GHZ, 2GB of RAM and a Geforce 7800GTX clocked to from 430/1200MHz to 490/1300Mhz. Phew thats over with.

Anyway before I did my overclocks I played Supreme Commander and It strained to run at a decent frame rate like *censored*. Im running it again and I think its better. Is there anyway to do a benchmark or something to compare the difference?
Also does anyone think I need an upgrade, I thought my PC was pretty ninja especially after the clocking but Supreme Commander does tend to push it with lots of units on screen.
Tanx for the thoughts.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Supreme commander performance issues
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 03:45:23 AM »
Supreme Commander is a pretty intensive game, it taxes my friend's PC with 2Gb RAM, Core 2 Duo E6600 and ATI Radeon X1950XTX.
I don't think you need an upgrade, maybe consider reducing the detail levels a bit to improve your frame rates.
As for benchmarks, most games include a way to measure this, check the options for a TimeDemo mode or similar.
You may have lots of background tasks running, consider disabling any you don't need.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
    What resolution are you running at?

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 03:00:00 AM »
    I prefer 1600x1200 because I have a big monitor but I do knock it down to about 1280x1024 If it gets busy and it seems to make some difference. It's just hard to tell sometimes by looking at it. I get the impression the frame rate is similar regardless of detail.

BladeWolf

Beginner
    • Hasta La Vista... Vista...
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 04:11:34 AM »
      Hmm... when does it become unbearable? when you have 500+ units slugging it out??

My Computer (referenced earlier by Calum :p ) is Very Good up about 750+ units, but it is still playable.

It is probably a resolution problem... but maybe its a actual game instillation problem, as referenced on Gas Powered Games Forums. i would link to it but i forgot the location :( apparently if there was a problem/power surge during install or if the DVD-drive had a problem, or any of a hundred of hardware problems... it would not correctly install one of the engine files and it would fail too hold up under stress apparently...

But that is a rare problem. i would have a better look at your system... i personally think a totally over clocked system would never ever hold up very well under a high processor Dependant game, maybe RAM also needs upgrading.

that and i don't think pure over clocking is good for a system IMO.

please get back to us if you fix it