Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost wireless connection on my desktop - help  (Read 5254 times)

pop3p

Lost wireless connection on my desktop - help
« on: March 11, 2007, 08:26:38 PM »
Router: 2wire 1800HG Gateway, ATT/Yahoo DSL service.  PC=HPs7620n, generic wireless card adapter.  Laptop, Dell, Dell wireless card adapter.  
Lost connection on my PC this afternoon, now NOT Connected.  Called Tech support (ATT), went thorough the whole routine, no luck.  He transferred me to another Tech who told me that the problem is it is not asking for key and that I need to clear out the preferred network list and try to reconnect again.  He gave me Microsoft cust. srvc # but they are closed?  My laptop is still connected and still working fine.  I did change the name of my network this morning and was able to reconnect both PC+laptop but lost my PC connection this afternoon.  What is clearing out the preferred network list? Not asking for key (encrypted key)?  Help??

pop3p

Re: Lost wireless connection on my desktop - help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 09:56:46 PM »
Found the problem, I disabled the SSID and my PC would not pick this up.  It is supposed to only hide the name of the network but somehow if I enabled it, my PC would see it but no way of connecting to it.  I am using Windows XP media 2005.  Guess I will continue to have to broadcast my network name for my neighbor to see.

MP

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Lost wireless connection on my desktop - help
    « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »
    I always change the default SSID to something peculiar.  Also set up security (WEP or WPA) and limit the number of computers that can access the router.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!