Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: iframes  (Read 4476 times)

alex116

iframes
« on: March 12, 2007, 02:15:09 PM »
Hi everybody, long time no see.

I have a problem and I cannot seem to find an answer:
I want to insert an iframe on a webpage (hereinafter referred to as "main"). The iframe has to display only a part of the webpage. My problem is that I want the iframe to disply a specific part of the frame itself. To be more specific, I want a part of a page to appear on another page. I don't know if you quite understood what I mean so I uploaded a printscreen of the page in the iframe and circled the part that that I want to appear in the main. I have numbered the distances from the margins of the page to the part I need with X and Y so it's easier for the one that helps me to write the iframe source code.

I think that rob might be able to help me on this one. I'm sorry if I hadn't made myself clear enough.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: iframes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 02:53:45 PM »
If you want a subset of a web page, you may have to process it server-side.  Is PHP okay for you?

You'll end up with a result that is more cross-browser compatible than any IFRAME solution, but which requires more maintenance (if, for example the format of the target web page changes).

Please provide specific links as usual.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

alex116

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 03:51:39 PM »
I would like to stick to IFRAME if it's possible (my host doesn't support php).
The format of the target web page won't change because it's my webpage and I won't change it  ;D

What links do you need?

btw, I uploaded a jpg file with the previous post, what happened to it?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 04:09:59 PM by alex116 »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 05:43:08 AM »
I don't know where your jpg went - I didn't actually look at it myself.  Perhaps if you upload again I can take a look at it this time to get a better idea of what you want to achieve.

As for web links - I'd like to see a link to the page that you want to include, and a link to the including page if you've done any work on it yet.

My impression is that you are only going to be able to achieve your objective by using some browser-intensive javascript, but let me get my head around what you're doing first.  Definitely sounds like a job for PHP...

By the way, if you are coding both web pages, can't you just cut and paste?  Why the need for an IFRAME?

alex116

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 02:16:34 PM »
I uploaded the jpg again. this is the site that I want to appear in the iframe and more specifically the section which is circled.

In case the jpg gets lost again the website is : http://games.stefysoft.com/ and the section which I want to display in the IFRAME is the one in the right where it says how many users I have.

I need an IFRAME because that trhing changes, the numbers only, not the position.

So let me rephrase and I hope this will be clearer : I want to display an IFRAME on a website. In the IFRAME I want a specific section of a page. Usually, an IFRAME displays the top part of a page, I want it to display a specific part(mentioned above). Is that possible? I am zero in PHP.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »
Ah, I see.  That's a Joomla module, isn't it?  I would suggest asking your question on the Joomla support forums - there's probably just a line or two of PHP code that you could insert into your page, to display that information.  Much easier than what you are proposing to do.

alex116

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 02:37:37 AM »
OK, thanks, I will ask on the Joomla forum. The reason why I wanted to do this using IFRAMES was because it can be applied to just any website not only joomla.

Thanks anyway for your time Rob.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 04:03:13 AM »
Well you could do it in theory, but I don't know a way of automatically scrolling an IFRAME to a specific viewport, so the alternative would be to parse the entire page (preferably server-side) to extract the specific information you require.  It is possible, but slightly more work.

I would definitely do that in PHP, if I were going to.  Let us know if you get no joy over at Joomla.