Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Crash  (Read 4862 times)

freshouttatime

Computer Crash
« on: October 10, 2004, 07:47:50 PM »
Ok a couple of days ago my computer started to just jump into standby mode for no apparent reason
i tried at first unsuccessfully to run my antivirus.. but it kept going into standby during the scan.
I was then fully able to run it on successfully and it found a virus. I removed it, but i still kept getting the same problem.

I then decided to do a clean install of xp professional by removing the ntfs partition in which it was installed. It successfully installed and everything worked fine except for my cable modem connection. I "repaired" the connection but a message that said it failed renewing the ip address.
I knew nothing was wrong with my internet connection because i could logon with my laptop.

I finally then decided to just install the drivers for my video card and i rebooted when i was prompted to do so. On the welcome screen of XP, I again started getting the computer going into standby mode prompt and the power just kept fluctuating as if it was going into standby mode and then turning back on.

Any Help?

Thanks!

shield

Re: Computer Crash
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 08:01:21 PM »
Have you looked in your Energy saving's list? is it set to standby? ...check if your videocard is well seated... if your machine has a stanby option for the mobo... check ifyour connections are ok and not loose...

freshouttatime

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 08:44:59 PM »
hmm thanx i'll do that

Mac

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 06:25:05 AM »
"In the partition in which it is installed" Have you got another partition with another Operating System in which the power saving is turned on?

How is your cooling and power supply?

freshouttatime

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 08:13:11 PM »
umm on the partition option i deleted the one and only partition i had... i first did a quick format ntfs style
and when that still didn't solve anything (i was assuming i didn't remove the virus in teh first place) i did a regular ntfs format.
I'm not too sure on how to check my cooling and power supply. Everything seems right.

I mentioned the whole thing with my highspeed connection not working. Does that indicate something with my whole motherboard messed up?

and i did disable all the hibernate/standby options in the control panel.

Thanx

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 01:43:31 PM »
Quick format doesn't remove the contents of a Hard Disk Drive.