Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Win Live Msger after moving router around?  (Read 2412 times)

windmill

No Win Live Msger after moving router around?
« on: March 16, 2007, 02:29:10 PM »
Hiyas there.

Today i had to move my router to another room in order to allow more people to plug in.

However, Windows Live Messenger isn't working anymore. Xfire works, Internet works...
As if that wasn't enough, the computers can't really "find eachother" over the network. Games can be played over the LAN, but we can't browse around and view shared folders.

Any help with anything is appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: No Win Live Msger after moving router around?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 04:49:10 PM »
Check for faulty cabling first, since nothing else seems to have changed.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

ntrealemail

Re: No Win Live Msger after moving router around?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 05:51:44 PM »
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpmanaged/26_xpmsg.mspx

Well it might and i use the term might strongly be a port forwarding problem going to that website will tell you the individual ports for various things. Also make sure that your computers ip address isn't changed like if you go through one router its usually 192.168.0.X
if going through two routers it should say its 192.168.1.X basically go to start menu run type cmd hit enter dos like screen pops up type ipconfig then hit enter top one is you 192.168.0.1 Is your outermost router innermost is under default gateway.  Umm also make sure your firewall isn't blocking it ect.  Had a problem with that when using a SGB900 Surfboard and a linksys router in line.  I felt like i should have known that would happen.