Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq SR1930NX and ATI X300 video card  (Read 2582 times)

e38fan00

Compaq SR1930NX and ATI X300 video card
« on: March 17, 2007, 11:01:45 PM »
I ordered a ATI powered X300 128MB card to install in my Compaq SR1930NX desktop

I installed and booted with the new video card connected. At first it would not recognize the card (no video) so I disconnected the cable off the video card and reconnected it back to the onboard video.

Reboot, hit F1 set up and chose PCI-E as primary video adapter, reconnected the cable to the video card and rebooted. This time there is video.

So far good to go.

I powered down for the night and rebooted the next morning. Again, I get no video. I disconnect the cable from the video card, and reseated the PCI-E card. Reconnected the cable to the video card and rebooted.

Still no video, I figure it's the video card.

Returned the video card and and received a new one in the mail.

Installed the replacement video card and I get the same situation as above. No video from card.

Since my computer is still under warranty, I initiated a chat with HP tech support and went through the steps I took.

Tech says to update BIOS and gave me a link. Link is a newer bios version but only fixes USB Card
Reader support but does not mention specifically a PCI-E slot fix.

Downloaded BIOS and flashed.
Rebooted and it seems to work.

Power down for the night
Reboot the next morning and no video coming from video card.
Disconnect cable and reconnected it back to on board checked F1 set up and primary video adapter is still set to PCI-E but video only shows when monitor is plugged to onboard video.

It seems like the computer is reverting back to onboard video everytime the computer is powered down.

Next,

I uninstalled all video drivers and booted up. It seemed to work until I powered down again.

I'm starting to think it has to do with a Compaq partition that has all the recovery files in it.

I think the partition somehow restores the default onboard video settings when it doesn't see the onboard video drivers.

I try to explore the recovery partition but a lock icon apprears, when I right click to explore, It just shows a warning about how the files are needed for recovery and do not delete blah blah blah. I can't view the folder. I even tried "show hidden files and folders" but I'm still locked out.

I posted on HP/ Compaq forum support and was asked to disable onboard video in device manager. I checked device manager and dont see a tab for it. under the display adapter tab, only the onboard video shows but no onboard video.

Any suggestions?

Thanks