Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Cooling  (Read 4300 times)

Don1188

PC Cooling
« on: October 14, 2004, 02:47:24 AM »
  Hi just wanted to know ideas on cooling my PC.  Just got it back working after the CPU went.  I have ordered a couple of fans for the case because, there are none.  The power and heatsink fans were still working when it died.  I also ordered some RAM coolers/heatsinks. P4 2.6gbz, 1gbz RAM, Win XP and a GForce 128 video card along with two HD's.

Thanks,
Don

Raptor

Re: PC Cooling
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 02:57:10 AM »
Coolermaster is a decent brand when it comes to cooling. My system runs at 58-59 degrees Celcius, it's AMD.

Pentium doesn't require any additional cooling. 1 or 2 case fans should be sufficient.

What are your system temperatures? Are you attempting to overclock? Overclocking will decrease the life span of your equipment..

Don1188

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 12:15:31 PM »
  Hi there.  In the bios it states that the CPU temp is 39c/102f to 43c/107f and the fan is running at 2812 RPM.  If you look under the topic "No Post Beep' you will see why I am concerned.  Plus, already after an hour or so the computer just reboots.  I have no idea why.  Oh, and no I am not overclocking.  Not brave enough or have enough money for that.

Thanks,
Don

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 01:23:16 PM »
I wouldn't quite call overclockers 'brave'. They most likely have more money to spend than the average computer user..

If you think your temperatures are too high, you should contact Intel and ask them what steps to take and to tell you more about the heat generated by your processor.

Do you have temperature monitoring software installed? Perhaps this is able to tell you what your temperatures are before you reset, rather than checking the BIOS after the PC resets.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 01:46:37 PM »
 Hi there.  In the bios it states that the CPU temp is 39c/102f to 43c/107f and the fan is running at 2812 RPM.  If you look under the topic "No Post Beep' you will see why I am concerned.  Plus, already after an hour or so the computer just reboots.  I have no idea why.  Oh, and no I am not overclocking.  Not brave enough or have enough money for that.

Thanks,
Don

In your other post, http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=3;action=display;num=1097109204
you said the motherboard was new.  Something killed your first processor, it's looking like the motherboard.  Since it's new, can you get a warranty replacement?  I would shut it down immediately before it fries another CPU!

Spurious rebooting is a sure sign of impending hardware failure.  I've experience this with an HP Pavilion.  The owner got fed up with it, stripped the drives out and gave the rest to me.  I put drives in it and it worked for several months, but would reboot occassionally.  It turned out to be a high power audio plug-in card on the verge of failure.  Power supply shorts and computer reboots.  In your case, I suspect a power capacitor near the CPU socket is failing.  What is the make and model of the motherboard?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 01:54:11 PM by Computer_Commando »

Don1188

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 09:56:03 PM »
  Okay here is what I did.  I have installed a heatspreader on each RAM stick and a computer fan in the front.  I plan to add another to the back and maybe a better heatsink.  I am using a retail intel heatsink that came with the new chip.  My system runs average 47c but, if I go to a web page or play music it jumps to 52c.  Whats the best heatsink I can get that really works?  I was thinking of maybe a ZALMAN ULTRA QUIET CPU Cooler CNPS7000A-Cu.  Temps can change here in Az pretty fast.

Don1188

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 10:11:39 PM »
  Plus I am using arctic silver.  With a program that tells me what my temps are.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 03:11:19 AM »
52 degrees Celcius really isn't that high. My AMD Athlon XP +2800 is running at +/-60 degrees Celcius and runs very stable.

You may wish to stop spending money on cooling unless you seriously require to do so. Has it been helping you?