Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CMOS battery low  (Read 8663 times)

Raptor

CMOS battery low
« on: October 14, 2004, 08:49:42 AM »
I've got a 35-9906-01 socket 7 mainboard here (VIA, I think)

The CMOS battery was low when I got it, so I replaced the battery with a new one (Brand new from Gigabyte) and it still gives me the same error.

Is there something wrong with the connector or did I overlook something?

Computer_Commando

Re: CMOS battery low
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:41:15 AM »
...did I overlook something?

Yes.  You failed to describe the error.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 10:43:54 AM »
It says CMOS battery Low after testing the memory. Sometimes it mentions CMOS Checksum error but that can be removed by loading BIOS fail-safe defaults.

What else is there to tell, Computer Commando?

I replaced the CMOS battery with a brand new one supplied by Gigabyte less than 2 months ago. I tried switching batteries back and forth, moving them around, no luck.

Booting without CMOS battery generates the same error.

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:11:02 AM »
You failed to describe the error.

Haha even with over 2k posts Raptor is still a CH newbi.

*poke* :-*

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 11:13:18 AM »
Don't you have a galaxy to defend?  >:(

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 11:20:44 AM »
I suspect part of m'board is dead.

CMOS battery supplies power to CMOS memory and RTC (real-time clock, which is usually made my Dallas Semiconductor).  BIOS chip is permanenetly or semi-permanently written (semi-perm is flash BIOS).  Default-BIOS loads to CMOS memory, then you make changes in BIOS (which is really changes to BIOS loaded into CMOS memory) and is saved and held in CMOS memory by battery.

CMOS checksum error means CMOS memory is not operating properly.  Same results with new battery means nothing is being saved to CMOS memory.

Does BIOS retain any changes made if you don't turn the computer off?  Make some changes, then do a warm boot, go back to BIOS, if changes are still there, and if you only lose changes when computer is turned off, battery hold-up circuit is dead.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 11:23:45 AM »
Haha even with over 2k posts Raptor is still a CH newbi.

*poke* :-*

Maybe just a "Senior Moment".  Otherwise known as a "touch of Alzheimers".

Of course, working with all this computer hardware will make anyone a little nuts.

Now Raptor might understand why Microsoft wants little to do with computer hardware.  That being the basis of the problem...Software Programmers have little or no understanding of the hardware.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 11:28:34 AM by Computer_Commando »

Joleen

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 11:26:51 AM »
Senior Moment
He's supposed to be a God not a senior.  In RL he claims to be 17 but I'm still waiting on the pics.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 11:32:09 AM »
The clock in the BIOS keeps being reset by it's self. It cannot even count for a few seconds without being reset to zero.

It cannot remember any settings either.

Mainboard's given up the ghost?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 11:32:42 AM by Raptor »

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 11:34:58 AM »
He's supposed to be a God not a senior.  In RL he claims to be 17 but I'm still waiting on the pics.

Like you claimed to be a super model? Wow, boy, you never should have sent those photos over.  :o

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 11:47:10 AM »
Correction:

There was no CMOS battery present when I did as I said two  posts ago.

However, there is now and it is still resetting the clock to zero after a few seconds.

It occasionally remembers the changes I made to the BIOS, and it occasionally goes beyond the POST and attempts to find booting information, but most of the time I receive CMOS related errors. Even when resetting the BIOS.

(CMOS Checksum error, CMOS battery low, CMOS resolution wrong, etc)

Computer_Commando

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 12:11:59 PM »
Correction:

There was no CMOS battery present when I did as I said two  posts ago.

However, there is now and it is still resetting the clock to zero after a few seconds.

It occasionally remembers the changes I made to the BIOS, and it occasionally goes beyond the POST and attempts to find booting information, but most of the time I receive CMOS related errors. Even when resetting the BIOS.

(CMOS Checksum error, CMOS battery low, CMOS resolution wrong, etc)

Please follow steps outlined in Reply#5, and then report back.

lgray9

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 12:17:18 PM »
try to find the jumper fort the cmos system. Remove it.  Turn computer on for about 30 sec.  Then shut down.  Pur the jumper back and restart the copmuter.  This should reser the cmos settings to the original configuration.

lgray9

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 12:18:36 PM »
The jumper should be somewhere close to the battery.

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 01:08:20 PM »
Does BIOS retain any changes made if you don't turn the computer off?  Make some changes, then do a warm boot, go back to BIOS, if changes are still there, and if you only lose changes when computer is turned off, battery hold-up circuit is dead.

I did as you said: I changed a few settings and then reset, each time I'd get a different CMOS error, but it also forgot what I had changed.

It cannot even keep track of time for more than 3 seconds when equipped with a brand new CMOS battery.

try to find the jumper fort the cmos system. Remove it.  Turn computer on for about 30 sec.  Then shut down.  Pur the jumper back and restart the copmuter.  This should reser the cmos settings to the original configuration.

I have done as you said, and it had little or no effect. Removing the CMOS battery should also reset your BIOS.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 01:20:03 PM by Raptor »