Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Uninstall XP Pro - Install New XP Home  (Read 5011 times)

SueBJ

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Uninstall XP Pro - Install New XP Home
    « on: March 23, 2007, 05:39:08 AM »
    Hi
    I am hoping you can help me. This might sound a bit confusing, but here goes.
    I bought a pc which had XP Pro installed on it. I tried to upgrade from microsoft eg; EI 6 but it won't let me beacuse the copy on here isn't correct. Something about too many users or something. So I want to take it off my pc all together.
    I have a new copy of XP Home with the correct Product Key etc.

What I want to know is what is the easiest way to get rid of XP Pro and install XP Home? Can I install it over the top or do I have to remove XP Pro completely. Will I have to re install my internet?
    I have the disk for Xp Home, my internet installation disk etc. But no disk or anything for XP Pro.

Sorry if I rambled on..

Thanks
    Sue

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:39:47 AM by jovigirloz »

bayern

Re: Uninstall XP Pro - Install New XP Home
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:31:18 AM »
    Make sure you BACK UP!!! anything you want to keep, music, photo, FBI watch list, CTU database... :o

All you need to do is to boot from your Windows Home CD, it will guide you through the entire freash installation, format your hd, etc. As far as the Windows Pro, I say forget about it, since you are using a legit Windows Home. After that you will need to reinstall all programs include your internet setup.

B.
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:32:57 AM by bayern »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »
    Also make sure you have all your drivers as well including but not limited to MBoard, video,sound etc.

You will also need to re-install SP2 if it is not part of the CD and all the MS updates.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
      « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »
      Hi
      I am hoping you can help me. This might sound a bit confusing, but here goes.
      I bought a pc which had XP Pro installed on it. I tried to upgrade from microsoft eg; EI 6 but it won't let me beacuse the copy on here isn't correct. Something about too many users or something. So I want to take it off my pc all together.
      I have a new copy of XP Home with the correct Product Key etc.

What I want to know is what is the easiest way to get rid of XP Pro and install XP Home? Can I install it over the top or do I have to remove XP Pro completely. Will I have to re install my internet?
      I have the disk for Xp Home, my internet installation disk etc. But no disk or anything for XP Pro.

Sorry if I rambled on..

Thanks
      Sue

Hi Yes you can dual install I have done it on my notebook and it works ok, you will need to reformat the hard drive and partition it into two, I loaded XP Professional on one partition and Vista Home Premium on the other.
      OJAS
      Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 12:12:50 PM »
      If he is wanting to get rid of a wonked XP install then dual boot option is not the way to go...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

SueBJ

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 08:10:28 PM »
        Thank you so much. I did it yesterday with no problems at all.
        It was all the updates for Microsoft, ie7 etc that took the longest   :)