Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME Re-start  (Read 8117 times)

schneig2

Windows ME Re-start
« on: October 14, 2004, 03:00:03 PM »
I have a Gateway Windows ME machine.  Several months ago, it started randomly shutting down on me.  I didn't think anything of it at first but then it started doing it more and more, sometimes in the middle of imprtant papers or something.  It's gotten to the point where it won't even stay up long enough for me to run a virus scan.  I thought at first a fan might be going bad, causing it to overheat and shut down.  The fans seem to be working fine though.  I believe there may be a virus, but I can't get the computer to stay loaded long enough to find out.  How do you suggest approaching this issue.  Thank you.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Windows ME Re-start
    « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 03:06:15 PM »
    schneig2....If you can D/L stinger...and leave it on your desktop.....It's not a very big file........It is a good tool to use to remove viruses .......It is not a deterant.......After you run it and hopefully remove the offender....be sure to scan with a good anti virus program...
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    You may have to use another pc to D/l stinger.....save it to a floppy , then run it on the infected pc.

let us know how you make out.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 03:09:11 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

schneig2

Re: Windows ME Re-start
    « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 12:01:31 PM »
    Will do!  Thanks for the advice.