Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do you check the temps on your computer?  (Read 4364 times)

ComputerTired

Topic Starter

Beginner

How do you check the temps on your computer?
    « on: June 02, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
    I'm just reading through several of the forums, trying to gain a better understanding of computers, and in some posts, people are telling them to check their temps.

...how exactly do you do that?

???

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How do you check the temps on your computer?
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:38:24 PM »
    There are several programs out there.
    Notable ones would include Speedfan, RealTemp, and Core Temp.
    Depending on the hardware involved each may give different readings and may need adjustments.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:24:58 PM »
    I have SpeedFan installed; I've had it installed for over a year, maybe two years or longer.  If you try it, you may see generic terms for different items for which it displays temps find yourself wondering exactly what components it's referring to, since it may list  3, 4, or more temps, depending on your system. 

To identify what the generic terms meant, I ran another utility called Everest Free Edition.  It also gives temp info but it's designed to generate a very detailed report on your system, so I see it as overkill as a tool to use mainly for temp readings.  But, with the additional detail it provides, running it one time can give you some info to help identify the generic terms shown by SpeedFan.  Then, you can change the name in SpeedFan.

Another way I could identify temps shown in SpeedFan was to access my BIOS, which shows two temps. 

SpeedFan tells me 4 temps: CPU, motherboard, hard drive, and another one simply labeled Temp1.  I do not know what the latter is.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 01:34:26 PM »
      Some times depending on what brand of your bios  it will be in there. 
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

ComputerTired

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »
        Thanks.

:D

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:18:04 PM »
          No prob just look us up again if you need us.  CH Where your Computer needs finds solutions.
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres