Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any risk in opening port 445?  (Read 6062 times)

pop3p

Any risk in opening port 445?
« on: March 29, 2007, 06:15:37 PM »
In order to share file, my firewall suggested that I open port 445.  Any risk?

MP

Raptor

Re: Any risk in opening port 445?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 06:36:22 PM »
Instead of opening it, use a hardware firewall to trigger it when its being used so it'll close once it stops being used.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 03:31:32 AM »
I'm not sure what Raptor means (possibly referring to NAT?) but people beyond your LAN should never have access to this port.  If you are on a trusted LAN, it is reasonably safe (and probably necessary) to expose this port, but you do not want it to be seen beyond your router.  >Have a read<.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

pop3p

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »
This came up when my Desktop tried to access shared files on my Laptop over the wireless home network, Desktop was denied access.  Checking the Activity Log on Mcafee firewall on my Laptop, it suggested that I open port 445.  However, checking the list of ports that can only be opened manually, I also found the name of my Desktop computer on the list of all those ports.  ShoulI put a check mark on the name of the Desktop computer instead of opening port 445 and keep port 445 closed?  I believe by putting a check mark on the name of the computer, the Laptop firewall will allow my Desktop to access the shared files and keeps port 445 closed?

MP

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 11:08:49 AM »
No - that will cause all ports to be opened between the two computers.  Take your pick.  :)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos