Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer.... stops.. working?  (Read 6258 times)

DBaker

My computer.... stops.. working?
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:41:58 AM »
I get an error that says the computer can't find a file called active.dpt, and now all of a sudden my comp just stops working, i can't open anything... can't use ctrl alt del... cant even turn off the computer or close anything, if somethin isnt minimized it works... i don't get it lol

My computer isn't freezing, it's just like everything that isn't already loaded on my screen (such as this webpage for example) just doesn't work.. I can't open ANYTHING. Can't CLOSE anything. I figured maybe the error has something to do with the active.dpt file, but iono.

I started getting this error RIGHT after I reformatted my computer.

Thanks for any help.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: My computer.... stops.. working?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 10:04:13 AM »
After you reformatted your hard drive, did you get on the Internet with that computer?  If so, did you have firewall protection running? 

That file must be very unusual; I only found one Google hit that applies to it.  See http://www.techgeek101.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t22106.html

If active.dpt is a valid file, then surely more info on it would be available.  This makes me think it's not a valid file.  Honestly, I'm not sure what to think.  One option in this case would be to format again and start over with your installation of Windows.

DBaker

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 11:28:08 AM »
Yes, I used the internet after reformatting the comp, actually I'm on the comp right now... everything stops working after a short amount of time..

According to the link you gave me, it looks like active.dpt is some sort of startup file? I'm not too sure as I'm not too smart about all the little system files and such that make the computer work..

Also, I wasn't given a copy of Windows with my computer when I bought it, but that shouldn't really matter should it? Wouldn't this error be happening before I reformatted as well?

Also, I'm running on XP if that helps any. Thanks.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 11:35:22 AM »
Formatting a hard drive erases everything on it.  How did you install Windows if you don't have a Windows CD?

DBaker

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 12:52:07 PM »
oops.. i think i meant system recovery  :-\ sorry

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 01:02:34 PM »
Let's be sure we get the facts straight, here.  You did not receive a Windows CD with your computer but you did receive a Recovery CD.  Is that right?

And, if so, did you use that Recovery CD to format your hard drive and restore your system to its original configuration?

DBaker

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 03:23:26 PM »
I recieved neither. I used the C Drive recovery option my computer has to reinstall Windows to the factory built state or w/e, removes everything and re-installs windows basically.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 03:37:43 PM »
OK, so you have a Recovery partition on your hard drive.  As I previously said, One option in this case would be to format again and start over with your installation of Windows.

DBaker

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 08:30:08 PM »
Apparently it was some sort of virus or something that was screwing my comp over. I got AntiVir PE Classic and ran it and now most of the problems are gone, including active.dpt. It still locks up from time to time, but not as bad as it was doing. Thanks for the help :)

Edit: I was still having lockup problems, I simply did C Drive recovery after I found and removed all viruses, and it reinstalled Windows correctly so I am VERY happy right now.. again thanks for the help :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 09:11:28 PM by DBaker »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 09:51:16 PM »
List all the protection programs you have on that machine....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "