Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: microsoft word help  (Read 3810 times)

kaby05

microsoft word help
« on: April 02, 2007, 05:06:35 PM »
i have a problem. my computer was working fine a day or so ago. i went to open up microsoft word and the computer said "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed but i used it about a day ago. any help will be greatly appreciated  ;D

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: microsoft word help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:07:04 PM »
More info, please.  What version of Windows and of Word/Office?  Do you have your Office CD?  Is this a genuine Microsoft edition of Office?  What source did you buy it from?  How long have you had Office installed? 

Are you having any problems starting other programs?  Other than this problem, is your computer running normal?

kaby05

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:51:37 PM »
windows 2000. word 2003. no i do not have my office CD. it is a genuine micorsoft edition of office. the computer was given as a gift.  office has been installed for at least 2 years.  i have no other problems starting other programs. my computer is still running normally. it's just microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint that do not work.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:06:06 PM »
Not having the Office CD may be a major problem here.  You may need it to resolve this.  Do any other Office components [Access (if you have it), Outlook] work?

Do you have firewall and anti-virus protection on that computer?  Do you use any spyware/adware removal tools?

Try a search to see whether you can find the file launches Word.  Search your hard drive for winword.exe.  Same for excel.exe.

kaby05

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 07:20:23 PM »
Access does not work either. i have Norton anti virus.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 07:26:35 PM »
Not having the Office CD may be a major problem here.  You may need it to resolve this.  Do any other Office components [Access (if you have it), Outlook] work?

Do you have firewall and anti-virus protection on that computer?  Do you use any spyware/adware removal tools?

Try a search to see whether you can find the file launches Word.  Search your hard drive for winword.exe.  Same for excel.exe.

kaby05

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 07:38:04 PM »
I do have firewall. i tried the search and the files were not found. i have microsoft antispyware

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 10:09:30 PM »
Are Word, Excel, etc., still on your programs menu?  If you go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, is MS Office shown there? 

kaby05

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 01:03:41 PM »
they are still on my programs menu but when i go to the control panel, add/remove programs microsoft office is not there

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 08:26:48 PM »
It seems your Office has been uninstalled.  You say winword.exe and excel.exe can not be found and Office does not appear in Add or Remove Programs.  What else can we conclude? 

Happy Office shopping.   ;)  If you want to try a free alternative, get OpenOffice