Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer does not boot  (Read 3959 times)

happ

computer does not boot
« on: October 17, 2004, 11:39:37 AM »
I am trying to start a Compaq pentium II computer from 1998. I am using various hardware(monitor,keyboard, mouse)that didn't come with the computer. When I press the power button I get three long beeps each followed by a short beep. The third beep is followed by to short beeps. The screen is blank but I can hear the tube warm up when I plug the cable into the CPU. The keyboard Caplock lite is on. The screen is blank. The computer worked fine before it was stored but that was using Compaq monitor and keyboard. Is this a hardware compatibility problem? Thankyou for whatever advice you have.

Raptor

Re: computer does not boot
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 11:48:54 AM »
Have you checked to see if all the cables are still connected properly?

How was it stored? You may have to allow it to regain room temperature before using..

Corrosive

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 01:41:01 PM »
Having done a little research on BIOS Error codes (which these certainly are), I've found that this beep means that your motherboard is, to use the technical term, f***ed. You almost certainly need to get it to a repair shop if you are not familiar with replacing motherboards.

See this site for details: http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 02:08:52 PM »
    happ......I wouldn't panic yet .....How long was the pc in storage for and where was it stored .......?
    What operating system does it have on it ?
    I would be inclined to disconnect all power to it , open it up , then carefully remove the ram , any pci cards .....at this time I would leave the processor and its heatsink alone......get yourself a can of air.....and blow out all the dust which may have built up as a result of the unit being in storage. Be sure to blow out the area where the processor and heat sink are very well ....( use a chopstick or some similar non metalic object to prevent the cpu cooling fan from spinning) . When you have things clean inside ......replace the ram ( being careful just to handle it on the ends ) and the vid card........dont worry about any other cards at this time.....Take a minute to be sure all the ide cables are plugged in and tight. ( If in doubt, unplug them and plug them back in ).....Now , plug the mouse , keyboard and monitor back in . You can leave the case open for this test ........now reconnect the power chord to the tower and try to start up .......( make sure the monitor is turned on ) record exactly what happens ......does the leds on the front of the case come on  , does the cooling fan on the cpu start , does the cooling fan on the power supply start , Did the led on the floppy drive come on ....did the led(that indicates hard drive activity come on )and what beep or beeps do you hear .......
    let us know .
    dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 02:11:21 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 04:47:26 PM »
    change the cmos battery...first.. it as probabilty had it...the bios .....watch this space..