Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Freezing...CPU or Heat Sink Thermal Pad??  (Read 5281 times)

Brenda Henry

Computer Freezing...CPU or Heat Sink Thermal Pad??
« on: October 17, 2004, 04:05:31 PM »
A few weeks ago my laptop froze on me.  I tried turning it back on and only a click and the green power light.  I thought maybe the hard drive was the problem, replaced it and it seems to be fine.  Computer still freezes on me.  Do I need to replace my CPU, heat sink thermal pad, or something else altogether?
Help!!

merlin_2

Re: Computer Freezing...CPU or Heat Sink Thermal P
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 04:17:10 PM »
before you spend more cash ....info on system...laptops dont have heat sink...a fan that blows across the cpu..the biggest cause of hangs/freezing ..no enough ram.../junk thats not needed/video driver corupt reg the list is endless from a point or this forum ...if you can give more info...is always means that one of us on the forum can help you help....and as they say have a nice day ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 04:22:56 PM by merlin_2 »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 04:24:56 PM »
Please supply make and model of Laptop.  Is it still under warranty?

Brenda Henry

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 04:34:35 PM »
Laptop is a Compaq Series PP2140.  It does have a heat sink thermal pad around the CPU that has somewhat melted away.

Brenda Henry

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 04:39:05 PM »
It has 256MB ram and worked fine until just recently.  I removed most of the software programs and reinstalled windows XP.  I was lucky it didn't freeze during the installation.  I got it running again and it seemed fine but then just froze up.

Brenda Henry

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 04:43:31 PM »
Unfortunately it is not under warranty.  When the laptop was given to me from school, it was obsolete at the time.  Very disappointed but need to find the least money route to having a laptop.

Brenda Henry

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 04:45:27 PM »
One other thing.  This laptop has an AMD Athlon XP.  I've been told they have been known to burn out very easily.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 04:56:09 PM »
before getting out the cheque book/credit card ...has this laptop any life...like safe mode. the  magic f8 key on boot up...it may have suffered from over heating ...put some kind of thermal pad underneath it..or place wood ...to increase the airflow..

« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 04:56:40 PM by merlin_2 »

spyder1

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 05:02:28 PM »
I am the same person who asked the original question.  Just registered.

Sometimes it boots up just fine.  Sometimes I get a check disk and it might get through the check disk before freezing again.  It takes several power on and power off tries to get it to go that far.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 05:03:44 PM by spyder1 »

spyder1

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 05:07:46 PM »
I have also been able to do a virus scan as well as defragmenting.  I was surprised that it didn't freeze during these processes.  Is there any equipment that can be used to test if the CPU is bad?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 05:14:05 PM »
Laptop is a Compaq Series PP2140.  It does have a heat sink thermal pad around the CPU that has somewhat melted away.

This one? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=307173&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00001888

I've worked on many laptops.  Probably overheated, if it turns on at all, it's not dead yet.  Does the fan ever turn on?  You've opened it up and can see the CPU?

I have also been able to do a virus scan as well as defragmenting.  I was surprised that it didn't freeze during these processes.  Is there any equipment that can be used to test if the CPU is bad?

CPU either works or it doesn't, there is no middle ground.  The equipment costs more than the computer.  There is temperature monitoring software, if the computer has the temp probes on the motherboard.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download283.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 05:19:19 PM by Computer_Commando »

spyder1

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 05:18:07 PM »
The fan turns on if the system manages to boot up.  I will try the site you posted.  Thanks.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 05:24:55 PM »
The fan turns on if the system manages to boot up.  I will try the site you posted.  Thanks.

That's a good sign.  Does BIOS have settings for fan?  Some have temp limit to turn fan on.