Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory Upgrade Query  (Read 3587 times)

Thickmick

Memory Upgrade Query
« on: October 18, 2004, 05:17:31 AM »
Hi
I have a Laptop which seems to be taking longer and longer to do anything it is:-
1 Gigapro CPU running Win ME it has presently got 128 SDRAM.  My question is this.  If I upgrade to 512 SDRAM (Which the laptop can take) will I notice much improvement in speed say in booting and programme startups?  Laptop is presently being used by my daughter mostly for homework and is networked to the internet via broadband.

Raptor

Re: Memory Upgrade Query
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 05:20:23 AM »
When is the last time you defragmented your Hard Disk Drive?

If you notice that performance is going down, adding more RAM won't work. You will have to better maintain your files instead.

Thickmick

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 05:26:55 AM »
Thanks Raptor,  
I will go and try to defrag right now... mind you I seem to remember having real problems doing it last time.  I think I had to Control-Alt-Delete and shut down nearly everything that was running to get it to work.  Does this seem normal?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 05:30:52 AM »
I suggest you do these things on a regular basis to keep your computer well maintained and running smooth:

• Scan for viruses/Trojans
  • Scan for spyware
  • Defragment Hard Disk Drives/Partitions
  • Clean registry
  • Remove redundant files
  • Run whatever maintenance wizards that come with Windows ME (If any at all)

A program such as

Advanced System Optimizer V2 can be used to do keep your computer well maintained. It even allows you to enable additional security. Try the 30 day trial.

Thickmick

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 06:22:39 AM »
If your still out there Raptor I don't seem to be able to run Defrag on the Laptop.  It told me there was problems with the disc and to run scandisc.  I have been running scan disc now for some time and it just keeps going back to the start . (I have clicked for it to automatically correct any errors)  Any ideas as to how I get DefraG to run?

Thanks in advance

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 06:26:24 AM »
What if you use Scandisk in safe mode?

Thickmick

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 06:34:33 AM »
Okay I will go give that a try

Thanks

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 02:27:25 PM »
Hi
I have a Laptop which seems to be taking longer and longer to do anything it is:-
1 Gigapro CPU running Win ME it has presently got 128 SDRAM.  My question is this.  If I upgrade to 512 SDRAM (Which the laptop can take) will I notice much improvement in speed say in booting and programme startups? ...

WinME is notoriously slow.  Upgrading memory will nothing for you unless you also upgrade to WinXP.