Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive got a virus??  (Read 3003 times)

trekkie28001

Hard Drive got a virus??
« on: October 18, 2004, 05:37:47 AM »
I just got road runner and it was running great until the next day I turn it on and it said something about LAN but wouldn't boot up. Its a HP so I have recovery disk. It said Hard Drive was not found that I might need to run FDISK. I put in my start up floppy and it said that I need to run FDISK or that a virus maybe causing it to not register. I think thats what happened cause I ran SCANDISK in dos and it said drive c: had no errors so its detecting it. When I try to run FDISK it says no fixed disk are present. Can anyone help me fix this?? Its a HP Pavilion with 98.

Punga

Re: Hard Drive got a virus??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 08:00:41 AM »
Has 98 eh? When your computer is starting up..... tell us what says after "Fixed Disk".......... if it says something, it's a good sign....

When you start your computer.... hold down Ctrl..... Boot in safe mode........

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 08:50:18 AM »
Have you checked to see if the HDD is detected in the BIOS?

trekkie28001

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 04:01:59 PM »
I put it in another HP Pavilion I have and it started up. I ran fdisk and am reformatting it. I guess it wasn't set up properly in the bios. How do I fix that?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 11:10:52 PM »
The easiest way would be to set it the Hard Disk Drive to 'Auto' in the Basic BIOS menu or allow the BIOS to detect it.

If that does not work, you should either refer to the manual of the HDD or contact the manufacturers technical support.