Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: constant attempts to dial out  (Read 3459 times)

torch

constant attempts to dial out
« on: April 05, 2004, 08:21:38 PM »
 ???
I have a persistant problem I have not been able to find the source of, even though I have changed virus checker, purged spyware often and ditched unfamiliar programs.

My PC continually attempts to connect to the net, and will lock up some programs in mid session when the attempt happens.

I understand it must be a background process but how do I find it?

mark_c

Re: constant attempts to dial out
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 03:11:44 PM »
Have you got a firewall? ZoneAlarm could be able to at least identify what program is dialing out? Try it from ZoneLabs.

torch

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 06:39:03 PM »
Thanks

I have two firewalls, niether prevents this problem which is internal to the PC

I have Zonealarm Pro installed. I sometimes wonder if it is the source or if IE 6 is thesource but I cannot un- install that.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 02:29:39 AM »
    Hi Torch.....
    Here's something you can check.....it may just solve your problem. Up at the top in the tool bar click on Tools , then scroll down to internet options....click on the connections tab...... Mke sure ....never dial a connection is ticked. Then click the apply tab and ok and you problems may well be corrected.
    I am assuming its something simple.
    Hope this is of help,

dl65   ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

torch

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 07:22:30 AM »
    Thanks for the suggestion That will certainly stop any program dialling out but it means I have to dial the ISP manually before starting the Browser which isnt a satisfactory work around and doesn't locate the rogue process.  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 03:04:00 AM »
      Hi Torch .....You shouldnt have to manualy dial up your isp before opening browser.......just open browser or your mail and a dialup box will come up and just hit connect. That will at least prevent the bug from locking you up ......Can you  find any folders that contain the IE toolbar and manually delete them ........you might also try running system mechanic , WinDoc or Pest Patrol
      One of those utilities should find the sucker

dl65    ???
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

torch

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 05:18:48 PM »
      I implemented your work around and gave you the results, what more can I say? The process doesn't operate in the manner you anticipate requiring manual intervention.

Thanks for the additional suggestions