Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why does my computer send out so much data on the internet?  (Read 4016 times)

jbohdan

Why does my computer send out so much data on the internet?
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:31:22 AM »
For every 1 000 000 bytes received my computer recieves about 25 000 000 bytes. Is this normal or should it be something I should be concerned about? Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Why does my computer send out so much data on the internet?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 07:36:12 AM »
For every 1 000 000 bytes received my computer recieves sends about 25 000 000 bytes. Is this normal or should it be something I should be concerned about? Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks.
Is that what you intended to say?

Yes, you should be concerned about it.  Do you have firewall installed and enabled?  What type of Internet connection are you using?  DSL, cable? 

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 07:54:20 AM »
I'd be concerned if:

A) It's a new installation of Windows
B) You have not got a firewall/virus scanner/spyware scanner
C) You're not downloading large files (IE: less-than-legal stuff)

jbohdan

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 08:42:44 AM »
I have a router and firewall. I also downloaded some free Alarm zone spyware and ran it. The installation of Windows is not new.
I'm thinking I should maybe get the computer checked out by a tech.

jbohdan

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 08:43:46 AM »
I forgot to mention, it's a DSL connection and I'm using the latest version of Firefox.
Thanks for the replies.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 08:52:43 AM »
You're not downloading anything? What do your firewall logbooks tell you?

chriscool9

Apprentice

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 10:05:14 AM »
    Hi there,
    Have you recently ran an Anti-Virus?! If so what where the results?! Id also recommend running another Anti virus as i personally think your P.C might be being used as what's called a 'Zombie'. What does anyone else think?
    Here is a definition as a P.C being a Zombie, taken from the BBC website. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/3618944.stm)
    Armies for hire

An average zombie PC looks like any regular computer: it doesn't eat flesh, groan or have aspirations to appear in a Michael Jackson video.

But while you go about your business, your machine is slavishly following orders from a remote master... sending out spam worldwide, or trying to bring down websites.
     One zombie pc doing this on its own would be bad enough. But there are hundreds of thousands of them, all working together in armies called botnets.

These can send out billions of spam e-mails: in fact 70 per cent of all spam is generated by botnets.

As Google and Microsoft recently found out, the botnets can also bring down websites - by bombarding them with thousands of requests every second.

These botnets are now up for hire. People with the right kind of money and contacts can rent such services to do their dirty work. But who would want to rent them and why?

To find out, we spoke to Detective Inspector Chris Simpson from Scotland Yard's computer crimes unit, and Paul Wood from internet security experts MessageLabs.

You can watch the interview - which also explains steps you can take if you are affected - by clicking the video link in the box above.

Chris

99 Problems and London's one of them

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 01:16:45 PM »
    Yep, all that outgoing data flow that he has no clue about sure points to Zombieland (new term  ;D).   If he's using Windows firewall, he needs to switch to a different firewall.  Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic, but not outgoing traffic.

jbohdan

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 04:48:53 PM »
    I guess maybe I didn't have a firewall installed and enabled after all. I just installed the Comodo firewall and it seems to be working (a lot less stuff coming in).
    Thanks for the help!

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 05:40:02 PM »
    And, a lot less going out, too?  Glad to hear you installed that firewall.

If you're not familiar with Windows Security Center, spent a little time getting acquainted with it.  You'll find it in Control Panel.   

Since you installed Comodo firewall, you should turn off Windows firewall if it's still enabled.  Running two firewalls is generally not a good idea.  To check this, look in Windows Security Center.

chriscool9

Apprentice

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 03:57:22 AM »
      Have you recently done a virus scan of your P.C?!

Chris

99 Problems and London's one of them