Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98se - Install PCI modem  (Read 2186 times)

Woodman

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Windows 98se - Install PCI modem
    « on: April 22, 2007, 08:13:30 PM »
    Am trying to install a pci modem in an older system.   The modem is not detected in P and P or using Install New Hardware.   When using the latter it searches for new hardware, doesn't find any and when the modem is selected from the list the only options are to connect to Com1 or Com2 from where the modem cannot be accessed.

After setting a modem on Com1 or Com2 and trying to connect, the displayed message is "Could not detect modem. It may be in use, turned off, or not installed properly."

So far have tried two Dynalink modems 1456vqh-R and 1456vqh-R1 with the appropriate Win.98 drivers downloaded from the Dynalink site.

I have tried to install the modems on two individual pc's, both elderly but otherwise performing well.   

The P.II pc had a pci modem reportedly working well until the hdd had to be replaced, reformatted etc..

Specs of both pc's are attached.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks

[old attachment deleted by admin]

Woodman

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: Windows 98se - Install PCI modem
      « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:28:42 PM »
      Problem resolved.

Not sure but think that the pinning on the Dynalink modems does not suit the pci slots.   Got another modem with more pins and it works just fine.

Thanks to all who read my post.