Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: browser windows  (Read 7815 times)

Bradley_P.

browser windows
« on: October 20, 2004, 10:51:36 AM »
I'm running Windows ME and recently upgraded to IE6. Ever since IE6, I've had some browser windows open only to the size of a postage stamp and then I must click maximize to get the page to expand. This is not true for all pages, however. I'm very new to computing and may need more experience even before posting to this forum... this is my first question in any forum. Please... is there a simple remedy?
Muy Muchas Gracias!

Raptor

Re: browser windows
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 10:57:16 AM »
t now wont let me get into my main c drive. It says there is a error and hat i have to repair it. So if i cant get into my main drive, does that mean i have to reformat the whole c drive and possibly lose everything?

Yes, Mozilla Firefox

Bradley_P.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:15:17 AM »
RAPTOR,

I read somewhere that IE is necessary for Windows updates. Can you switch between browsers if need be? Does Firefox take up a lot of hard drive space? Does it allow you to visit and view as many websites?

Thanx!

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 11:31:23 AM »
You can run them both at the same time.  Back to your original question...sounds like "pop-ups".  You need a Pop-Up Blocker.

Bradley_P.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 11:51:39 AM »
Excellent,

Thanks for the insight... any freeware pop-up blockers avail. out there?

Brad

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 11:55:33 AM »
the f11 key may help you gain full screen ..to resume the screen back to where it was hit the f11 key again..and this magic program everyone should have www.secretmaker.com

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 12:03:42 PM »
Excellent,

Thanks for the insight... any freeware pop-up blockers avail. out there?

Brad

Yahoo and Google both have free popup blockers.

Bradley_P.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 12:27:40 PM »
Hey...

F11 did the trick!
Don't know why... but it did.

On to popup blocker heaven and then a visit to Mozilla Firefox.

Ya'll are great!!!!

Thanx!

Brad

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 12:34:33 PM »
RAPTOR,

I read somewhere that IE is necessary for Windows updates. Can you switch between browsers if need be? Does Firefox take up a lot of hard drive space? Does it allow you to visit and view as many websites?

Thanx!

Firefox does not remove or overwrite Internet Explorer. You can tell Firefox to be used as the standard browser, but Internet Explorer will still remain on your computer.

Bradley_P.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 01:00:11 PM »
Thank you for the further clarification...

How do you guys know all this stuff?

Brad

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 01:09:37 PM »
its a lot more than just a pop up killer<secretmaker can be obtained> from http://www.download.com/3000-2382-10201805.html?part=6100011&subj=dlpage&tag=button

Bradley_P.

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 01:35:53 PM »
merlin_2,

I've got Spybot, Ad-Aware, AVG6, Zone Alarm, IE Privacy Keeper, CWS Shredder, Highjack This and Ace Utilities. Will Secretmaker interfere or be incompatible at all?

Brad

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 01:57:57 PM »
sercretmaker will not interfere...i would ditch zone alarm and avg and  use sygate personal firewall....and anti-vir personal edition both free from majorgeeks.com

Computer_Commando

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 02:13:16 PM »
merlin_2,

I've got Spybot, Ad-Aware, AVG6, Zone Alarm, IE Privacy Keeper, CWS Shredder, Highjack This and Ace Utilities. Will Secretmaker interfere or be incompatible at all?

Brad

All good.  I never had a problem with ZoneAlarm.  Early versions of Sygate failed miserably.  Latest versions pass all tests.
http://www.grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm
http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 02:33:43 PM »
Zone Alarm 5.5 Security Suite was horrible from my experience..