Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange problem when search internet with word S**  (Read 3797 times)

tanasit

Strange problem when search internet with word S**
« on: February 21, 2007, 04:20:21 PM »
Sorry for double post because after the first post when I actually used the word S*P*Y in the subject, I came back and can't read my own thread because when I click on my subject, the whole website disappears. Now I have to add "*" in between the 3 letters and see if this work.

I need help with this storage issue using IE 7.0 with my Windows XP.
Whenever I search or click on the link that has to do with the word "S*P*Y". When I click on the link, the whole screen will flash and disappear! I also notice that the same happens with the word "Tactical".

The problems only occur when I use the search function or click the hot links to the topic containing those words.

For example, if I type the word SPY and google the whole website will just disappear!

Well, since some suggested that it's the server so I called my server (Covad DSL) and the tech support setup 2 new connections with renewed configurations as well as refreshed the new line provision and reset the modem.

That did NOT solve the problems! They think it has to do with the firewall which later turned off but no luck, so they asked me to look into my virus protection software!

Well, I also downloaded and installed Firefox.....no go because it still acts exactly like the IE 7.0 xx. I tested this by searching the word "spy" in Google bar, again white out!

I am thinking of looking into my Norton Anti-Virus setup or ??? I also installed Ad-Aware from Lava soft and scan my computer but no changes.

Just tried disabling the auto-protect feature of Norton, still no go.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

crazyfrogs

Re: Strange problem when search internet with word
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:06:19 AM »
I'm not a pro at this, but have you checked your content advisor to see if those words have been blocked.  I have enabled mine through IE properties and added certain words to block in search engines to protect my grandchildren.  If they type certain words it blocks them from viewing the site.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 10:23:39 PM »
that actually sounds kind of cool, Happyface. How do you do it?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 08:04:09 AM »
I was unable to recreate this issue in any browser i tried so there is something on your machine that is causing this...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tanasit

Re: Strange problem when search internet with word S**
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:53:32 PM »
I finally got help here   :) (it took several weeks though):

http://www.temerc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3423585#3423585

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 05:53:08 AM »
Try sending an E-mail with the words 'pentagon, terrorist, al-qaida' etc, you'll see it takes longer to arrive than the usual E-mail with the same amount of words!

:)

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 02:31:39 PM »
...and then listen for the knock on the door.  :o

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 11:46:17 PM »
Actually, I think I have had my memory wiped on several occasions.

Ronald Marva

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 01:38:25 AM »
You got my attention here so I tried it using Firefox, Opera and IE. Works fine with me though....