Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer shutting off randomly  (Read 8467 times)

sammeier

computer shutting off randomly
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:51:39 PM »
Ok, it started today and it has been giving me a great deal of trouble.
My computer is just shutting off randomly. Like when my brother is playing
a game on the computer, it just shuts off the computer after about 10 minutes.
Now I was just recently downloading something onto my computer (from a disk), it just shuts off in the middle of the download. I tried finding the problem, like if it was a power save feature, but i couldn't find anything that resulting in the computer shutting off.

apoorvasheth

Re: computer shutting off randomly
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 12:27:46 AM »
Hi! This is Apoorva. I am from India. Based on your problem, I would first suggest you to kindly logon to Safe Mode and try working under Safe Mode for atleast an hour inorder to understand if the computer Shuts down under Safe mode as well?

Based on the OS (Operating System) you are using, kindly follow the below steps to logon to Safe Mode:

For Win98se
Turn On the computer.
When you see "Verifying DMI Pool Data...", immediately hit the F8 key for 2 times.
From the menu which will be displayed next, select the Safe Mode option.
This will take you to the Win98se Desktop in Safe Mode.

For WinXP/2000/Vista
Turn On the computer.
Once the counting of Memory & HDD (Hard Disk) detection has been finished, Immediately hit the F8 key for 3-4 times.
You will see: "Windows Advanced Startup Menu".
Select Safe Mode option and hit the Enter key.
You will see a message: "Select the OS to logon to". Select the OS listed and again hit the Enter key.
Now, you will reach to WinXP/2000/Vista logon screen with few usernames being displayed.
Select Administrator. You will reach to the desktop & a crap message might be displayed saying: "Windows is running in Safe in order to diagnose the issue....".
Just say "Yes" to it. In case you do not see such message, don't worry.

Now kindly stay under this Safe Mode for atleast an hour and do whatever you would like to. But...

NOTE: As this is Safe Mode, you might not be able to use certain softwares as well as Hardware and also, Internet connection will not be working under this mode.

Please carry out this step and then let all of us know on this forum if you faced the same problem under the Safe Mode as well?

Also, we need to know your entire system configuration in order for us to better understand the area where the issue could be lying.

Has your computer ever being infected by Virus in the last 2-3 months. If "Yes", then what action did you take on it?

I would also like to know that since when are you facing this problem of computer getting Shut down randomly?

But before you can answer my above questions, I would first like you to carry out the steps mentioned above.

Eagerly wating for your reply  ( :) )....

Apoorva M. Sheth.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:48:19 AM »
Power supply, excessive heat and bad RAM are possibilities. Did you ever test the RAM? Free download at www.memtest86.com. Run each stick for an hour or so, then all together.

System temps? Try taking the sider cover off and blowing a fan directly in there to see if it helps.

What make and model power supply? Wattage? How old?

A lot more information about your system would help.

General Lee

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 02:34:22 PM »
I see this happening a lot with processors where the "Thermal grease" has dried out. I have had success with removing the processor and cleaning both surfaces and reapplying new thermal grease.

There's a free program you can download called pc wizard, it will not only give Comp Info, but will also give the temperatures of different components in your comp. It will show the temperature of the processor.

sammeier

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 09:56:18 PM »
To apoorvasheth:
when in safe mode i can't do the things that i would do to have my cp to be turned off.

To GX1_Man:
Its not the temp, fan, or the wattage cause it only happens when playing a game.
Its not that old for this to be happening, lets leave it at that.

To General Lee:
Thermal greese, nope. Once again it only happens when im playing a game and it has nothing to do with temp or the fan.

Please get back to me

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 04:32:12 AM »

To GX1_Man:
Its not the temp, fan, or the wattage cause it only happens when playing a game.

Please get back to me

Sammeier,

You may not know this but we don't give advice just to be blanketly dismissed because you don't think that's the issue. We don't ask questions just for the heck of it as well. Troubleshooting is a systematic process and there's a lot of experience on the forums. I can assume you have a LOT less if you are the age where your brother is playing games on your computer. If you knew for sure what the problem was or wasn't I would guess that you would have fixed it by now.

You would be better served by paying attention and participating in the solution to YOUR problem.  ;)

llandvillz24

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 08:49:58 AM »
from llandvillz24:

try to check your power supply especially the fan if it is working properly. and try to check if the fan of your motherboard is rotating when the computer is power on. now, if power supply and fan of motherboard is good, then your computer is affected with virus to turn off your pc..i would rather reformat your pc.

apoorvasheth

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 02:59:31 PM »
Hi! Thanks for your reply. You said that your computer shuts down while playing a game. May I know the name of the game which you were playing? Also, does it meet the minimum system requirements? Try playing the same game on another computer if possible or try playing it onto your friend's computer if any of them are staying nearby to you and if you don't have an extra computer at yr place.

Also, make sure the new computer on which you will be playing this game meets the minimum system requirements.

Try scanning your computer for virues using the antivirus installed on your system if any, else, try using an online antivirus system for scanning your HDD through internet.

For Norton Antivirus:
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/ssc_EULA.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=JBGTLSIVFWMFKPXKBQW&vc_scanstate=2

For McAfee Scan
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

For Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner:
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Also, did you try going into the Safe Mode and stay in Safe Mode for an hour? This step can really help to a great extent!

You did not even mentioned your entire system configuration which should include devices currently attached at the back of your computer, Operating System & softwares recently installed.

Did you contacted the game manufacturer for the shut down issue? What action have you taken so far from your side to diagnose the issue?

What version of Directx are u using? (Go to Start - Run & type: dxdiag & press OK).

You have also mentioned:
"I was just recently downloading something onto my computer (from a disk), it just shuts off in the middle of the download."

Does this shut down always happens?

Try downloading the content from the same disk under the Safe Mode and see if the issue of Shut Down still presists. Also, try using a different disc than the one which you were using and then see if the issue still presists.

Kindly go through the above steps in order to find out a solution to your issue at the earliest and revert back....

Apoorva.

To apoorvasheth:
when in safe mode i can't do the things that i would do to have my cp to be turned off.

To GX1_Man:

To General Lee:
Thermal greese, nope. Once again it only happens when im playing a game and it has nothing to do with temp or the fan.

Please get back to me

sammeier

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 07:13:58 PM »
apoorvasheth:

Here are the answers to your questions.

Name of game? Its all games.
Meet requirements? Yes, it worked b4
Playin on another computer? Yes, it worked and it did on this one too, awhile back.
Virus scans: no viruses
Have you tried going in safe mode for an hour? I did do that. Curious though, what does this do?
System configuration info?
Connected: A HP printer and 2 speakers
Recent software + downloads: nothing

Did you contacted the game manufacturer for the shut down issue? Well it happens to all games and anything im downloading (from cd).
What have you done to figure out the problem? What you guys have been telling me.
what directx? 9.0
Does it usualy turn off in the download? Yes, every sence yesterday. But b4 that, no.
When in safe mode install it, did that work? I'll try and post you on result.

Edit:
in safe mode i am able to download (from cd).

Thanks for your help.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:09:00 PM by sammeier »