Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows won`t start again after deleting a DLL. file!!  (Read 3120 times)

Hazze

Windows won`t start again after deleting a DLL. file!!
« on: April 25, 2007, 04:42:30 PM »
 Hi there!
Got this PC from a friend with 500 Mhz 256 MB RAM and Windows 98 SE.
It was cool until I thought I should wipe some unused programs (3) to make it faster. So I did, and since then it won`t open Windows, I cannot get in!
A message comes;

Error loading Explorer.exe. You must reinstall Windows
<OK> and then comes;

ERROR STARTING PROGRAM,  A Required .DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL, was not found.

And I can`t go anywhere from that point, only to restart.
I have tried to change the Boot order in BIOS to be able to boot from cd or floppy, but it doesn`t help.
Is there a solution, like walk it through in DOS with some commands,
or can I format the hard drive from DOS and then install Windows again? Will it work?

Thanks for all possible help!
/Hazze

M1CH431

Hopeful
  • DuffMan!!!
    Re: Windows won`t start again after deleting a DLL. file!!
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:02:35 PM »
    Alright First off do you have the Windows 98 Se Cd? Second Do you wish to just format it or save the stuff on it? Im pretty sure you want to format it so here's what you should do first: Download a Windows 98 Se boot disk from here, the instructions to make the boot disc are below the download links where is says Docs. After you've got that done let me know

Also, Welcome to Computer Hope

-Mike

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:09:41 PM »
    It was cool until I thought I should wipe some unused programs (3) to make it faster. So I did, and since then it won`t open Windows,

That was your first mistake. Did you uninstall from control panel or just delete things?

Do you have a Windows CD?

Hazze

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 05:35:22 PM »
    I have a 98SE cd and I just made a boot disk.
    I used the control panel and uninstalled the programs, but I am not sure that all 3 were uninstalled correctly.
    This is a good lesson for me, and I want to learn how it all works, so this is great!
    /Hazze

M1CH431

Hopeful
    • DuffMan!!!
      « Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 05:42:37 PM »
      First off make sure the Bios is set to boot the floppy disc, then restart with the floppy in. Then when you get into MS-DOS type the following command Format C: it will ask you: This will erase all your Data Continue Y or N? Type Y then hit enter. After that its ready for an Operating System. After format boot with your CD and floppy disc and type Setup at the MS-DOS Prompt. Then watch the magic :P.

Hazze

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 06:02:06 PM »
      Thanks a lot, man!
      As you guessed totally right, I couldn`t care less about the hard drive, just wipe the *censored*!

I am ready to hit the buttons, just waiting an email from my friend who gave me the PC. He had one folder in it that he wanted me to copy for him, and I didn`t have time before the computer went down. So as a friend I had to ask him if he has backup on that one, otherwise I have to wait with FormatC: a little while.
      So I wait for his replay.

Thank you Mike for taking the time, I let you know how things develop.
      Play loud and clear!
      /Hazze

...and visit my My Space to have a listen to my music.
      www.myspace.com/hazzewazeen