Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My HP ScanJet 5P does not like my new Vista computer  (Read 2244 times)

Beckamina

My HP ScanJet 5P does not like my new Vista computer
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:03:32 PM »
 ??? Just got my new Gateway pre loaded with Vista. Only thing is, my HP ScanJet 5P requires Windows 95 to be loaded in. I am close to illiterate with the innards of a computer. I tried a driver fix (suggested by a friend) by looking up my scanner name, but after loading the driver, I installed the CD for the scanner, and it still failed saying it does not support Windows NT, and I needed Windows 95 or 3.1.  Any suggestions for a fix?

GX1_Man

Re: My HP ScanJet 5P does not like my new Vista computer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 08:18:44 PM »
Vista has a problem with a LOT of older hardware (what a surprise  ::)) I would check the HP site and see what is available there.

Beckamina

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:23:37 PM »
I feel so silly 'cause I don't really know what questions to ask. I went as suggested to HP site, they gave me options for my scanner, but the fix thing was for if my operating system was Windows 95, 98, XP or NT. I have Vista. Does that fall under NT? What is that? I am going to plea with my IT crew at work to see if anyone has W95 for me to load. Do you think that will work? Ontop of Vista? I had heard that it may spit it out. The old, Does Not Compute, type of response.
I really would like to avoid purchasing a new scanner, since I just about broke myself buying the new computer. Any thoughts?

Joe_Flanagan

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 11:15:49 PM »
This scanner is ancient and I would wager that HP will not write Vista drivers for it.
Here are your OS options:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=58976&lang=en&

If you really like this scanner, your IT guy may be able to get it working in a VM (Virtual Machine) environment or in a dual-boot scenario.

It would be more convenient to step up to a AIO (All-in-One) or scanner that has Vista support.