Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Website registration process.  (Read 3105 times)

Jayanand

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Website registration process.
    « on: April 28, 2007, 11:27:11 PM »
    Hi Everybody!!

Suppose, I have to create my own WEBSITE, I can create web page normally by HTML,DHTML,JAVA SCRIPT.

WHAT IS THE NEXT COMPLETE PROCESS TO REGISTER MY WEBSITE WHERE WILL I HAVE TO GET SPACE,DOMAIN etc.

suppose, I have two,three websites data, can i keep it in one computer and will be able to edit periodically?

Thanks,
    Jay

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Website registration process.
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 02:20:32 AM »
    You will need to check into hosting companies...they sell their service for a fee.

And yes you can save your pages and edit them as you like. They are normally uploaded to your host co.'s servers using FTP.

Good Luck to you.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 06:10:38 AM »
    Go to 110mb. Excellent free hosting!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 08:43:06 AM »
    Go to 110mb. Excellent free hosting!
    Seconded.
    But if you want www.yoursite.com rather than yoursite.110mb.com you will have to pay.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 08:53:32 AM »
    If you want your own domain name so that you can publish a site like [www.mysite.com], you'll have to register it.  I recommend GoDaddy.com for a Registrar.  They also have web hosting (not free) but you do not need to host with them just because you registered your domain name with them.

If you do not register a domain name, you're not going to be able to publish a site like [www.mysite.com].  You could still publish website but it will have to be attached to another URL.  For example, my ISP is Earthlink.  I'm entitled to some disk space on their server for a personal website.  The URL for that would be something like http://home.earthlink.net/~username/ or the example in the previous post for 110mb hosting.

I'm not a fan of the free hosting idea.  Let's face it, these hosting services must get some revenue somewhere if they are going to survive.  So, if you're providing a service for free, where's the revenue coming from?  110mb even says on their site that many of these free hosting services don't survive more than a few months.  Yet, for reasons not clear to me, they claim to be different. 

Good, reliable, commerical hosting can be obtained for as little as about $4/mo.  One I'm using is www.totalchoicehosting.com.  Their Starter plan is $4/mo.

Jayanand

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 04:48:53 AM »
      Ok, Thanks to all of you! Idea with link for free and payable thanks.

So, first process will be getting domain name registration.
      Suppose, we are getting domain name, what will have to do next ? will i have all data/page created by me to him to publish or what else?

Thanks,
      Jay

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 07:47:08 AM »
      So, first process will be getting domain name registration.
      Suppose, we are getting domain name, what will have to do next ? will i have all data/page created by me to him to publish or what else?

I'm not sure who you mean my "him".  Apparently, you either mean the Registrar or the hosting service.  Please clarify that.

Anyway, here's one scenario: 
      You register your domain with a registrar.  Let's assume you do not use them for hosting.  They will "park" your domain until you have obtained an account with a hosting service and have published, i.e. uploaded, your pages to the server.

You open an account with a hosting service.  They will issue a "DNS pointer" code to you.  You will need to logon to the account you created with the Registrar and associate or link that DNS pointer to your domain name. 

You publish your web pages to the host server.  This is usually done via FTP, using software designed to connect to a server for FTP uploading.  Think of it this way.  You view websites with software called a web browser, and you're working in the HTTP arena; all website addresses are  pre-fixed with http.  Similarly, to upload or download directly from your computer to a web host server, you are working in the FTP arena and so you need software designed to work in the arena.  FTP software can be purchased, or you might try freeware such as CoffeeCup Free FTP 3.0; if you're going to buy, here's an option: http://www.smartftp.com/

Working with your web page files in the FTP software is similar to working with files using Windows Explorer, except that, with FTP, you moving files to a remote computer instead of a different location on your hard drive.

Jayanand

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 10:27:29 PM »
        Thanks Soybean,
        Everything is clear! Excellent!!

Thanks n Regards,
        Jay