Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp format problem  (Read 3465 times)

elpapa

xp format problem
« on: October 22, 2004, 05:50:55 AM »
Hi there,
kindly request your help as seems i have formatted my computer with xp NTFS format and now when i try to install xp with floppy bootable disks which have prevously used on other ocasions, when im asked to insert disk no 2 of 6 the keyboard does not work.
What have i done wrong for the keyboard not to work?
I friend told me i might have formated the primary partition and thats why the keyboard does not run.
Is there some kind of bootable floppy that fixes this problem and were can i donload it from?
Tks in advance
Juan

Raptor

Re: xp format problem
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 07:00:12 AM »
Why do you not boot from the Windows XP CD?

Set your CD-ROM as the first boot device in the BIOS.

elpapa

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 05:34:40 AM »
Believed that was not posible. Anyhow cant get the cpu to recogenize the keyboard. Could i have done something wrong when formatting?
Should the cpu always detect the keyboard when i switch the unit on, i mean when i try to get into the bios.
tks for replying
best rgds
juan

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 06:01:44 AM »
Believed that was not posible.

Have you tried?

Anyhow cant get the cpu to recogenize the keyboard. Could i have done something wrong when formatting?

Formatting your Hard Disk Drive should not affect your keyboard in anyway. You could even use the keyboard without having a HDD installed.

Should the cpu always detect the keyboard when i switch the unit on, i mean when i try to get into the bios.

Yes, the computer should always recognize the keyboard.

Are you using an USB keyboard?

Mac

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 08:00:55 AM »
Kindly request your help as it seems that I have formatted my computer  to NTFS format, and now when I try to install XP with floppy bootable disks, on inserting disk #2 of 6 the keyboard does not work.

What have I done wrong for the keyboard not to work?

I friend told me I might have formatted the Primary partition and that is why the keyboard does not run.

Is there some kind of bootable floppy that fixes this problem and were can I download it from?
Thanks in advance.

Juan

Hello Juan, Is this XP Home or XP Professional? You may know that the two versions use two DIFFERENT Sets of XP bootdiskettes.

This ALSO depends on which Service pack number your XP CD has.

At this time you should be using a slipstreamed XPSP2 CD which you have burned yourself after using AutoStreamer 1·0 to merge the files on your XPCD with either the Free SP2 CD from Microsoft or with the 266·1Mb SP2 download from their download site.

Normally you should be able to change the BIOS settings to be able to boot directly to the XPCD but with some bios's this is not supported and so you are told that you have to use the diskettes.

This is NOT true.

To make it really easy you just need to download oldbios.exe , from http://ebcd.pcministry.com to your hard-drive and double-click on it with a formatted floppy in the A drive to make an Oldbios Bootdiskette.

Now you can put the Oldbios Bootdiskette in the A drive of your own computer and the XP CD in the CD-ROM drive and when you start up you will see "Press any key to boot from the CD ... "

Windows will start to load.

When you have the choice delete all drives and start over making the C: drive exactly 8192Mb (8·0Gb) and then make up to three Logical drives.

For example D for the My Documents folder, E for Email, and F as an archive drive, which is also big enough for video.

Format all drives to NTFS and start installing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 08:02:20 AM by Mac »