Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help me find my 10gb recycle bin lost in deleted XP profile!  (Read 2546 times)

groots

Hello all,

So something messed up and my user profile in Windows XP Home Edition was deleted, although I can still access the files by going through My Computer in my secondary profile.

The problem is I had 10gb of junk in the recycle bin, which is nowhere to be found using the method above to view the dead profile's files.

Given that I'm on a 37gb already cramped laptop, this is obviously a slight annoyance!

If any prospective computer-sleuths out there have any leads on how to find the lost monstrosity it will be really appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Martin.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Help me find my 10gb recycle bin lost in deleted XP profile!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:09:15 PM »
It's not clear what you are asking...are you attempting to recover what was in the recycle bin or free up 10G worth of space from previously deleted stuff ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Help me find my 10gb recycle bin lost in deleted XP profile!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:27:13 PM »
A disk cleanup often recommended in computing forums is called CCleaner.  I don't know whether installing and running it will remove that Recycle Bin stuff from your old profile but I suggest trying it.  To minimize the size of the download, I suggest you go here and download the Basic version.  It's the same as the Standard Build except for a Yahoo toolbar which is bundled with the Standard Build.  Even if you download the Standard Build, you can elect not to install Yahoo toolbar, and I suggest you do so.

Once installed, run the Windows scan, Applications scan, and Issues scan.  Remove everything it finds.  The Issues scan cleans Windows registry, so when it prompts you to backup the registry, do so.  If you'd like more info on configuring CCleaner, see Configuring CCleaner

Check you free drive space before and after using CCleaner.  How much space did it free up?