Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The god of dos<scruge>  (Read 4832 times)

merlin_2

The god of dos<scruge>
« on: October 24, 2004, 12:23:53 PM »
you have been norminating by yours truly as the god of dos...godos....i cant see why people are still wasting their time using it...??echo off

scruge

Re: The god of dos<scruge>
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 07:24:22 AM »
Sorry, not a God!  just an old rusty fart passing through.

Actually i haven't used dos much the past 5 yrs.  but I've got a special project going now making a bootable crash recovery-setup cd, which has revitalized my interest in dos.  Interestingly enough I just came across some real mode drivers for USB which I can't wait to try out.  Unfortunately they were written in Japanese.  I may post a link in hopes of finding someone to help me with getting them running.

I'd like to commend you on having an excellent reference section on dos.

scruge

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 01:47:25 PM »
...I just came across some real mode drivers for USB which I can't wait to try out.  Unfortunately they were written in Japanese....

http://www.oldfiles.streamlinetrial.co.uk/powerload/yes.htm

They work, I use them all the time.
usbaspi.sys
di1000dd.sys
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 02:23:19 PM by Computer_Commando »

scruge

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 03:39:42 PM »
fantastic, those are the ones I found from Panasonic.  Whats amazing is I found another set in of all things NTFS.com free ntfsreader.exe  disk..  And just 2 minutes ago I found 2 more sets including 1394 at http://www.opus.co.tt/dave/indexall.htm

Now if I can find a good fat/ntfs dos based file browser I'll be able to put this project to bed.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 04:20:05 PM »
...Now if I can find a good fat/ntfs dos based file browser I'll be able to put this project to bed...

How about XTree Pro Gold?  Load NTFSDOS and then Xtree.

There's more than one usbaspi around.  The usbaspi on the linked website did not work.  The one that worked for me was this zip file:  mhairu.zip  With a DOS boot disk, it's worked on 4-6 different computers, with my external USB 2.5 notebook drive w/ME-910 case.  Case is combo USB2.0 and Firewire.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 04:29:57 PM by Computer_Commando »

scruge

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 05:15:10 PM »
Is that the old Central Point software xtree?   I may have that laying around some place.  Does it handle LFNs?  

I'm really fired up now knowing those usb drivers work. That really opens alot of doors.  With hdds getting so cheap now days I'm trying to get away from the frizbies.

Funny you should mention the notebook hdd.. I just bought an usb enclosure for an old 2.5 20gb that had been laying around here for over a year. It really has come in handy on occation.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »

1.  Is that the old Central Point software xtree?   I may have that laying around some place.  

2.  Does it handle LFNs?  

3.  I just bought an usb enclosure for an old 2.5 20gb that had been laying around here for over a year.

1.  I don't believe it was Central Point, but that's the one.  I think Central Point was PCTools.

2.  No.  16-bit only.  Ever hear of Ztree?  http://www.ztree.com/
I still use Xtree when I boot to DOS.  I keep a copy on all bootable partitions.  It still works.  A good reason to keep all partitions FAT32.

3.  Lots of problems with USB enclosures powered from USB bus.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't.  Worked better from Win2k than WinXP.  Drive startup current exceeds Bus spec.  External power supplies are required for reliability.  Mine has 5V power plug for PS2.  I'm told, the older 2.5" drives have less of a problem.  Haven't had problem running self-powered from DOS.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 06:33:10 PM by Computer_Commando »

scruge

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 08:02:38 PM »
1. Boy now we are really dating ourselves.. pctools that really goes back a ways, ah copy2pc

2. I looked at ztree earlier and kept looking because he only had os2 and win. I needed dos.

3. This little enclosure I bought had 2 usb connectors to double up on the power.. so far I haven't had any trouble at all.  However I did notice after going with the xp sp2 downgrade that all my external usb and 1394 drives got a lot slower even though most early reports were that it only effected some 800mbps 1394.  As a result I haven't booted to xp in a couple of months. Fortunately I only applied it to a 3 PCs.. which is one of the main reasons I wanted to get this setup-recovery cd done so I could test it when I re-imaged these machines back to sp1.

I'm kind of stuck with NTFS.  I do a lot of home video editing and the 15-25gb file sizes are a pain with a fat32 drive.  Plus I've got over 1.5tb of video I maintain which is about 120 hours of raw dv.  I'm in the market for a good hardware transcoder dv > mpeg..  I figure theres got to be a good one out there somewhere being the Sony dvd camcorder has been out for sometime now.

Well, you guys keep up the good work and I certainly appreciate all the help.  

scruge

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 11:08:15 AM »
1. ...I did notice after going with the xp sp2 downgrade that all my external usb and 1394 drives got a lot slower... I wanted to get this setup-recovery cd done so I could test it when I re-imaged these machines back to sp1.

I'm kind of stuck with NTFS....

I had a crash on one of my computers.  It was NTFS, when I went to restore, it refused to get all the way through, some kind of NTFS error message.  Never had a problem with FAT32.  I have imaged backup'd to CD-RW's and hard drives.  I've got a parallel to SCSI converter cable and 3 external SCSI drives in a separate powered enclosure (formerly a Bernoulli Box).  Also have an H45 portable powered enclosure (8GB) w/ parallel and PC Card cables.  Parallel port backups run at about the same speed at USB1.1 backups.  I don't backup to CD's anymore.  I can backup an entire bootable partition to a 2GB SCSI drive, and you can walk away and not feed it CD's.

Doomsday_J

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 05:30:53 PM »
Well, just for the sake of argument ;D, Unless you are never going to be working with legacy systems I think it is important to have a general Knowldge of DOS. I say this because I find myself using it every time I install netware.  ;)

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 01:22:30 PM »
Are you the 1086 version or the 1089 version...(book._ ;D