Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ADSL Modem wont install or not being detected...pleeez help asap!!  (Read 5898 times)

charjon

Hi, Im having trouble with my modem I think,
I run the installation cd and when it completes it says "searching for modem, if not plugged in plug it in now"..
So I plug it in and nothing happens it just keeps searching for ever but not finding the modem so i eventually hit cancel after an hour or so,
tried several times plugging it in first, plugging it in after, am sure its turned on and the ethernet cable is connected but nothing and I really need this to work as im paying for the adsl but cant use it!!!
its a Dynalink RTA100+ and is supported by TPG ISP.
Running WinXP, also tried connecting it via USB but same thing...hmm?? please help me!!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: ADSL Modem wont install or not being detected...pleeez help asap!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 07:38:54 AM »
Phone line into modem...RJ45 line from modem to Network card plug on back of machine....are these setup properly ? ?

Is there a router involved here ? ? If so temporarily remove it til the connection issues are resolved.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:40:25 AM »
    Phone line into modem...RJ45 line from modem to Network card plug on back of machine....are these setup properly ? ?

Is there a router involved here ? ? If so temporarily remove it til the connection issues are resolved.

After you deal with patio's recommendations, have you tried running the CD with the modem connected?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

charjon

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 08:44:25 AM »
    awsum!! thnx for the reply,
    ok....im positive ive connected it properly as theres only 1 plug on the back of the machine that fits the cable and i plugged the modem end into the plug stating "LAN"..
    Im not sure if the cable is an RJ45...the writing on the cable says "CAT 5 CSA TYPE CMG FT4 PATCH CABLE CABLEPLUS"..
    About removing a router, im not sure if there is 1 involved other than the router/modem that im trying to install.. Although i do have a dial up connection with another ISP,
    1 last thing...when i turn the modem off then back on the small system tray icon that shows a red cross changes "acquiring network address" for 1 or 2 seconds before goin back to the red cross,
    And thanx ALE52 i also tried it with the modem connected!! cheers

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:40:36 PM »
    Is this DSL service ? ?
    If so have you installed the filters on all of your phone jacks ? ?

Call the provider and have them run a line test...they will be able to do this over the phone.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »
      awsum!! thnx for the reply,
      ok....im positive ive connected it properly as theres only 1 plug on the back of the machine that fits the cable and i plugged the modem end into the plug stating "LAN"..
      Im not sure if the cable is an RJ45...the writing on the cable says "CAT 5 CSA TYPE CMG FT4 PATCH CABLE CABLEPLUS"..
      About removing a router, im not sure if there is 1 involved other than the router/modem that im trying to install.. Although i do have a dial up connection with another ISP,
      1 last thing...when i turn the modem off then back on the small system tray icon that shows a red cross changes "acquiring network address" for 1 or 2 seconds before goin back to the red cross,
      And thanx ALE52 i also tried it with the modem connected!! cheers

Right click that little icon with the red cross...does it say "Enable"??