Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: vista and win 98  (Read 4349 times)

snakebite99

vista and win 98
« on: May 15, 2007, 10:33:03 AM »
Hello.
I have a small question.
I Have windows vista on my laptop, but it uses quite alot of my computers resources. Namly i have 1 gb of ram, and windows is using 50% of it all the time.
i was thinking, if i would install windows 98 on my laptop too, then gaming with win 98, would be better?
and is it possible to install vista and 98 on the same system?

Thanks, for any help.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: vista and win 98
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »
    what games? and you would have to reformat and make a new partition for 98, but lets see what others have to say

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:53:01 AM »
      snakebite99,see post "windows forum" "coincident operating systems by truenorth. good luck,truenorth

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 02:11:27 PM »
      Laptops are not exactly tweaked for gaming...Windows will use all the RAM it needs to do what it does so don't freak about 50% when gaming.

You can also shut off all items in the tray before running a gaming session ....this should free up some resources.

Win 98 would need to be installed before Vista so you would be looking at a complete wipe of the system and an install of Win98 then Vista.......think about it, that's alot of effort.

On top of that if you are still considering this approach you would need to do some research to find available Win98 drivers. And for a newer laptop you might run into nothing but roadblocks.

Let us know.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:21:09 PM »
      And the games may require more than Win98 to even run. You were already asked what games but didn't respond.  ::)

If 1 gig of RAM doesn't get it, Win98 is not the answer. You have other issues.

snakebite99

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:59:05 AM »
      thanks for the replys :)
      i guess i'm going to stick with vista then. it's not worth the effort.

but are there any ways to increase the system preformance in vista anyway?
      (games like Need For Speed:Carbon(actually thats all i play))
      Will upgrading drivers improve the preformance(sp?)?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
        « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 09:23:35 AM »
        y would you want to play a game like that on win98 i dont even think it can...

maybe some one whos uses vista may be able to tell you but i dont use it