Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Word Problem ?  (Read 27746 times)

Jp

MS Word Problem ?
« on: May 16, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »
I recently restored my system ;

Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1
128 MB of RAM

do to trojan irrepaiability !

I used the computer manufacturer's CD to restore.

My problem is I can not find my MS Word files, my Start column and icons has changed and just doesn't look the same, I'm sure that is where, note pad, word pad, and what I think is, MS word, meaning the files when open look very much like word pad with several exceptions,
one of which is, when scrolling you are able to tell when the page has ended and a new one starts.

If this is MS word, mine is missing. When I have gone to my, CD back up file
for some reason this seems radically changed and does not have the file data that I stored, fortunately I did make some previous back-up files, that seem to have most of the files that the latest CD is not yielding.

The files in question are listed with an icon I have never seen and appears to be a white page with a little blue notepad and blue pen in its center, when I bring up it's properties, it says that it opens with wordpad, I tried this and it opened with illegible geek-greek, little squares and letter symbols.

I'd without doubt appreciate it if you could help me understand, . .
What is this how did it happen and where is my original systems MS word ?

???
Jp

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: MS Word Problem ?
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 04:29:41 PM »
    Jp ...... Go into My Computer, C: drive...... find the folder called programs. open it..... look for a folder called MicroSoft Office ( if thats what you had) or MicroSoft Word.)
    If you don't see either of them ....... you will simply reinstall your MicroSoft Word.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 04:30:33 PM »
    I used the computer manufacturer's CD to restore.

And what does the CD say on it?

Jp

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »
    GX1_Man,

1st CD Compaq Restore Plus
    2nd CD Compaq Operating Systen CD (Microsoft Windows XP Home

dl65,

I did not find either, I will check MS on the web for the re-installation D/L.

Thanks.

Jp

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »
    And which one did you use? Walk us through it with you exactly what you did.

Jp

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:16:37 PM »
    GX1_Man,

If I can I will, . . this may take some time, . .  however if you would please verify the program we are speaking of MS Word, the sophisticated chap that was nearly impossible to control the curser when high lighting in scroll fashion ?

Jp

contrex

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 02:07:43 AM »
    Microsoft Word is not part of Windows XP, so it won't be included on the Manufacturer's Restore CD. It sounds like maybe the dealer put it on as a freebie (naughty!) so it won't be there. Neither will any Word files created during its use! Sounds like JP thought that the "Restore" in "Restore CD" meant that it would make his system back like it was before the trojan, whereas it made it back like it was when Windows was newly installed, and before Word was put on the system.

The files in question are listed with an icon I have never seen and appears to be a white page with a little blue notepad and blue pen in its center, when I bring up it's properties, it says that it opens with wordpad, I tried this and it opened with illegible geek-greek, little squares and letter symbols.

disable hide file extensions, and a pound-to-a-penny they have .doc at the end?

Get ready to use your wallet!!!

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 09:34:58 AM »
      try openoffice it's free

Jp

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »
      OK, I think I am grasping what you are saying, I will continue with this post and provide you with the details, . . however I believe that unloved warrior has pretty much summed it up.

For now, I have, first page search results for microsoft word ;

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=client_searchbox&query=Microsoft%20Word

You would naturally think that this would provide me with what I am looking for, . . MS Word D/L to replace my missing program, but if I can't find a safe and authentic MS Word program here, where will I ?

Jp

contrex

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 10:52:49 AM »
      Jp, there seems to be something you are not understanding. Microsoft Word is a commercial product, that is, you have to pay for it. You cannot download it free on the world wide web! You have to go to a store, either online or physically go there and use this thing called "money". The process is called "purchasing" or "buying" the software. You get a CD ROM with a serial number printed on a label on the case.

Try this link: it may be more relevant.

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=topsearchbox.search&query=buy+microsoft+word

Jp

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:07:08 AM »
      Ok, Ok, I get the message,

Hey thanks alot Compaq ! ! Yeah ! Thanks for Nothing, !!

but while your your here let me wet your thirst for knowledge.

This is a scrsht of the MS Word Viewer I instinctively thought would solve all my problems.

So, if you thought that would work like I did, which you probably didn't , . .

it doesn't !

:o

Jp

P.S. Don't let Raptor see this he'll decode it !!   Any Bets ?? >:(

Jp

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »

In regard to details requested by GX1_Man,

When I restored, I used the first disc, followed instruction, to use the second disc, I think I opted to skip the third disc, etc. and I restored the computer, but did not know anything about
      MS word being uninstalled during the process, . . however,

I am using an old  floppy disc, and have opened what I am sure was, MS word, in my notebook, which was restored previously to factory condition,

as I use the document file on the notebook to store data from this WXP system document file, as a back up, and I use CD's for this, . .

now the MS Word icon has changed and when I open it, I'm getting the code script, therefore I am concluding that, in someway the incapacity has spread or was transferred in someway to the laptop by the disc. of which I am positive use to open MS Word.

Also, after the restored WXP, I went to the CD to download my document files, of which, it seems that there was a lot of files that were missing, . .
      I used another CD, which allowed me access to the missing files.

JP

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 02:45:57 PM »
      Get back to the Window from the screenshot and change that setting to Windows (default)....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jp

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 02:54:26 PM »
      Done, No Change.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 07:17:31 PM »