Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP wont install on a new hdd  (Read 2631 times)

Richardward

XP wont install on a new hdd
« on: May 17, 2007, 05:08:02 AM »
The old hdd died so I installed a replacement - making sure it was primary master, but the xp os cd will not even start to install.   I've made the cd player the first boot option in bios & bios sees the new hdd. It's also partitioned & formatted but after startup & POST the system keeps saying press any key to reboot.   The cd player light flashes, so the cd is moving.   Any ideas?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: XP wont install on a new hdd
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 06:04:34 AM »
What did you use to partition and format the drive ? ?
How are your partitions set up ? ?
Did you remember to set the first partition as active ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Richardward

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:58:39 AM »
Used another pc running the same os.

Single partition – 40GB – “Basic” type NTFS. The other pc says that it’s “Healthy (Active)” – so yes the partition is active.

Since I removed the hdd to check it on the other pc & reinstalled it, it now says
“NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart”.  When I do the same message appears again.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 02:59:05 PM »
You cannot swap around hard drives from one machine to another with XP...this will almost always cause chaos...

At this point i believe you need to start over with a few suggestions;

1) The HDD needs to be in your machine for XP to ever run properly...even for the install.

2) The drive manuf. utilities are a very good way to prep a drive for an OS install. If you didn't recieve a CD with that drive DLoad them from the appropiate drive manuf. website.

3) In the drive utilities make sure the drive is set to an " active" partition and re-format the entire drive.

4) Then insert your XP CD and re-boot the machine and the install should run...

Richardward

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 03:57:24 AM »
I downloaded the correct HDD software from the manufacturer, burnt a CD using Nero & followed their instructions but I still get the “NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart”.  When I do the same message appears again.
The correct cables are plugged into the HDD & CD Drive from the mother board & the jumpers are set to primary master & secondary master respectively.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 05:16:40 AM »
If you are getting an NYLDR message when booting then the drive is not empty...probably leftovers from a botched install...boot with the manuf,CD and format the drive again.
Then put in your XP CD and re-boot
Does the installation start ? ?

Richardward

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 04:49:37 PM »
Sorry for the delay in answering, I have to work strange hours.   I keep getting the same message i.e. “NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” using the correct manufacturer’s file “DLG_V11_2.iso”.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »
Revisit This Site and follow the instructions to burn that file to a bootable CD...you have copied the file to a CD which will never work.
They have instructions for most burning apps including Nero...