Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with new hardware setup and xp  (Read 4382 times)

the_seraphim

problem with new hardware setup and xp
« on: May 19, 2007, 08:19:16 AM »
ok so here goes... i just built a new pc....

everything works with everything else, its all compatible and its all new and high spec

except i keep getting stop errors, or the system just hangs and wont do anything, or just restarts itself

now, the hardware is as follows

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core (2.0GHz) Socket AM2 L2 cache Retail Boxed Processor 
  ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA nForce3 250 Skt AM2 SATA 8 channel audio ATX 
 Kingston 1GB DDR2 533MHz/PC2-4200 Non-ECC CL4 1.8V Unbuffered Dimm 240 pin
 Casecom Silver 500W ATX Power Supply - 20+4pin Power Connector
a standard hdd on ide not sata
a cd rw drive
a dvd rw drive
geforce fx 5500 256mb gfx card with tv out

ive tried windows xp pro 32 bit
windows xp pro 64 bit
various combinations of drivers old and new from nvidia for the nforce 3 motherboard

im still getting the stop errors and the hangs... mostly if i use any kind of p2p software
the BSOD i get most is "driver irql less than or equal" from nvenetfd.sys which is part of the nforce drivers its the ethernet bit...

ive run torture tests on all the hardware including the ram at 90% utilisation (10 processes at 9% each) and got 118 billion error free results....

the mother board does have "vsta" in its model number, this makes me believe its a vista ready board... does that mean that on anything other than vista it runs badly?

either way im going to get a copy of vista and see if it works better on there if not its going to the computer shop unless someone knows whats going on...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: problem with new hardware setup and xp
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »
I wouuld swap in another vid card before suspecting the MBoard or CPU.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Sid

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »
    im still getting the stop errors and the hangs... mostly if i use any kind of p2p software
    the BSOD i get most is "driver irql less than or equal" from nvenetfd.sys which is part of the nforce drivers its the ethernet bit...

Sounds like an expansion card problem...

contrex

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 11:27:10 AM »
    some vid card problems reported in Vista

The motherboard itself is fantastic value. Great overclocker. But if you have an ATI gfx card to use in the AGP slot you cant at this time use it in Vista. But it works a peach in XP.

everyone knows that you can get the graphics to work by disabling one of the cores on the CPU.

the memory addressing issue is still there though, and I'm fairly confident there is nothing that can be done about it until nVidia wakes up and starts developing something.

last quote dated 12th April

the_seraphim

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
    ive left it with a computery fixer person (i forget the name of it) shes tried lots of things, and says she cant quite find the cause of the problem, ill phone her tomorrow and ask her to try a different grafix card,

how does vista work, i mean is it useable, i can always get vista if that will stop the issues, i dont mind if it will support the kinds of things i want to do, mostly downloading things from newsgroups, browsing the internet and playing games... its the last one that worries me in that i know vista no longer suuports the open grafix library and i dont know wether that will stop me being able to play games, i play things like warhammer 40k dark crusade, supreme commander, halo 1 probably halo 2 if i had vista running...  i also do stuff with photoshop, cs3 mostly, how does that stuff run on vista?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 04:39:14 PM »
    If hardware is the problem, Vista is not the solution.   ;)