Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cant open DVD drive in windows RESOLVED  (Read 3493 times)

CyberHawk

Topic Starter

Rookie

cant open DVD drive in windows RESOLVED
    « on: May 17, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »
    I have a Sony DVD drive in my computer (Dell Precision 330) and the drive is detected in the BIOS and it shows up in my computer, but it cant seem to open any type of CDs. For example I put in a CD and the cursor flashes a little CD picture a couple of times and I can see the drive reading the CD, but when I try to open it in my computer it gives me a message that says Insert CD into drive D:     I dont know what to do, I checked all the connections and everything seems ok. Any ideas????
    « Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 05:49:23 PM by dl65 »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: cant open DVD drive in windows
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 05:35:24 PM »
    What flavor of Windows ? ?
    What types of CD's did you try ? ?
    Music, data or videos ? ?

Try opening them thru Explorer instead.

How old is this drive ? ?

Another thing you can try is to go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager...find the CD unit and right clik it and select remove...
    Re-boot and Windows will automatically install it again.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 06:37:43 PM »
    Didn't I see this somewhere before?

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,35856.msg220099.html#msg220099

No need to double post.

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 06:43:05 AM »

this software patch from here can solve the problem sometimes it was aimed at windows XP, but the problem is still there in Vista unfortunately
      go to this web page

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

and Download

XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it.  A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done.  You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility.  If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

this is another way you have to open regedit and change this key
      click start,  then enter   regedit
       then look for this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

1. Click on the start menu.
         2. If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.
         3. Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.
         4. In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.
         5. Restart Windows.

Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

CyberHawk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 03:07:14 PM »
        cool cool it got fixed, thanks I appreciate it.
        « Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 05:48:10 PM by dl65 »