Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win XP will not come up with new mother board and processor  (Read 4639 times)

phayres

I up graded my processor from a P 4  3.2  hyperthreading to a  core duo E6600. The intel motherboard chip set is 6965, and is vista ready

My hard drive with win xp   serv pac 2 works with my existing setup but It will not boot with the new motherboard and processor. Some times it gets to the win start up screen the crashes with a blue screen. Other times it goes to the screen    normal mode  safe mode etc. But no matter which I select to goes to the win start up screen then crashes after flashing the blue screen which advises to check for viruses.  I have two hard drives with windows xp installed and each one crashed in the new system but runs perfectly in my current system. My system is checked for viruses every Friday and I did a manual check before installing the drive into the new system.

Any ideas

Tom

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Win XP will not come up with new mother board and processor
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »
    did it do this the very first once u upgrade

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »
      phayres ....... I suspect the issue is that you have a new MOBO and a new processor.......... Per Microsofts license agreement, you are only allowed to have XP installed on one machine...... I would think the solution would be to contact MicroSoft , explain to them that you have replaced the mobo as well as the processor and that you legit xp will only be installed on the new system......... Then you would format the hard drive and do a clean install of XP on the new system. The alternative of course would be to purchase a new copy of XP and install it on the new system.
      I could be wrong , but it sounds like what you are trying is piracy.........

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

contrex

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 02:24:29 PM »
      Even if you have a version of XP that doesn't need activation like XP corporate, it probably still won't boot with a new motherboard. You need to do a full new install.

phayres

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »

Yes from the very start.  The new set up is not connected to the internet, hence I thought Micrososft would give a warning that I had 10 days to activate it or the xp will cease to function.

I am trying not to reinstall win xp at least untill the system is up and running. Because if it still will not run I will then have to reinstall windows on my current system.  I can't afford that much down time.  But if that is the only way I guess I will have to do that.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:46:01 PM »
      That is the best approach. If you wait for it to magically work, you will have a long wait.  ;)