Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't uninstall SP2.  (Read 4137 times)

Jerry_03

Can't uninstall SP2.
« on: May 25, 2007, 06:32:10 AM »
I recently installed SP2. i was reluctant to do so from the beginning because ive heard it may cause problems, but others assured me it only happened to a small percentage of people. i guess i was in that small percentage because when i installed it i had some problems. my firefox browser wouldnt load any pages. i had the "problem loading the page" error. im sure it wasnt my net connection because i was able to connect online with other apps.

i checked the Windows firewall to allow firefox to access the net it still didnt work. so i disabled the firewall temporarily and it still didnt work.

so i decided to uninstall SP2. i found it on the add/remove programs list and successfully uninstalled. but then and i admit i was tired and wasnt thinking clearly and i did a system restore. it restored my system back and SP2 was installed again. so i then proceeded to uninstall it again from the add/remove programs list. when i selected to remove SP2 an error message came up  and said something like "Windows SP2 may have been uninstalled already, do you want to remove it  from the list?".

so now theres no option in add/remove programs list to uninstall it. i tried restoring to a restore point from when i first installed SP2, but system restore says it couldnt restore it to that point.

i tried reinstalling it but it isnt in the Windows Update list. i had downloaded the "Windows XP SP2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers" earlier and still had it on my computer. so i tried installing that in hopes that it would be on the add/remove list but its not.

so now i need to know if theres another way to uninstall SP2 besides having to reformat? i havent tried loading windows up in safe mode yet to see if its on the list, ill try that tomorrow.

to think of it, if there is no way to uninstall it or you'd advise against it then if you can fix my original problem of firefox browser not being able to load a webpage (IE cant either) then ill just keep SP2 installed. that problem was why i uninstalled SP2 in the first place.

Computer Specs:
-Gateway 510 Series
-WinXP
-Pen 4 2.80Ghz
-512mb RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
-Adware/Spyware/Virus Protection used regularly are Ad-aware, NOD32 and Norton AV 2003.

also i dont know if this has anything to do with SP2 or just coincidence but my HP PSC 2310 printer cant print or scan anything. i get an error message when trying to print. i tried reinstalling drivers. the last time i printed something successfully was before i installed SP2.

any help would be greatly appreciated

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Can't uninstall SP2.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:33:39 AM »
to think of it, if there is no way to uninstall it or you'd advise against it then if you can fix my original problem of firefox browser not being able to load a webpage (IE cant either) then ill just keep SP2 installed. that problem was why i uninstalled SP2 in the first place.
I have to wonder exactly what the status of your system is now, after all that you did. And, yes, dealing directly with the Firefox issue in the first place would have been the best thing to do.

Does Internet Explorer work?  Are you using that computer online to when using this forum?

I suggest you uninstall Firefox.  Then, download and install CCleaner. When you install it, I suggest you elect not to install the Yahoo toolbar that comes with it; you'll see the option soon after the installation starts.  Run it Windows scan and Issues scan and remove everything it finds.  This Issues scan will ask you if you want backup your registry before removing the items it found.  Do so, and then proceed with deleting the items.  Repeat the Issues scan since it sometimes finds additional items upon repeat scans.

Now, reinstall Firefox. Is it working?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 02:55:13 PM »
I doubt that SP2 is the root cause of the issue here...you should re-check all your network settings to see if they are correct.
Is there a reason you used the Network install package for SP2 ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jerry_03

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 08:53:31 PM »
I have to wonder exactly what the status of your system is now, after all that you did.

well id probably have to do a reformat soon with a complete reinstall of windows but I'm holding off on that til i get a external HD to backup my files.

And, yes, dealing directly with the Firefox issue in the first place would have been the best thing to do.

Does Internet Explorer work?  Are you using that computer online to when using this forum?

I suggest you uninstall Firefox.  Then, download and install CCleaner. When you install it, I suggest you elect not to install the Yahoo toolbar that comes with it; you'll see the option soon after the installation starts.  Run it Windows scan and Issues scan and remove everything it finds.  This Issues scan will ask you if you want backup your registry before removing the items it found.  Do so, and then proceed with deleting the items.  Repeat the Issues scan since it sometimes finds additional items upon repeat scans.

Now, reinstall Firefox. Is it working?

ill try that then.

btw, IE didnt work either. I'm using a different computer when accessing these forums.

Is there a reason you used the Network install package for SP2 ? ?

i had downloaded the network install package earlier cause i was having problems downloading it off windows update, but then eventually i got it working through windows update.

Jerry_03

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 01:16:42 AM »
i tried what you suggested soybean. it still aint working.

while searching google i found this on the MS Site

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350&Product=winxp

i tried every option listed on there and it still aint working. i dont know what else to do but reformat.... :(

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 06:25:05 AM »
What type of installation CD do you have ? ? This is important.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jerry_03

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 01:28:37 AM »
i have the one that came with my computer (Gateway 510 Series). Blue disc labeled Operating System. Windows XP - Home Edition vr1.2