Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VIA Rhine ethernet adpater troubleshooting  (Read 9077 times)

comwizz

VIA Rhine ethernet adpater troubleshooting
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:18:08 AM »
Hello everyone,
I have a VIA Rhine II ethernet card on board. I am having lots of problems with it as the icon in the systems tray shows limited or no connectivity and no repair works giving the error "Unable to renew IP address" , also no updates to the driver can be downloaded successfully.I have Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 as the OS.
The card sometimes works for a short while almost as if by accident and then the problems recur.
Do help me with the same.
thanks in advance
Specs :
Field   Value
Computer   
Operating System   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack   Service Pack 2
DirectX   4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name   SMIT
User Name   smit

Motherboard   
CPU Type   Intel Pentium 4, 1500 MHz (15 x 100)
Motherboard Name   ECS P4VMM2  (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset   VIA VT8751(A) ProSavageDDR P4M266(A)
System Memory   480 MB  (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type   AMI (05/28/02)
Communication Port   Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port   Printer Port (LPT1)

Display   
Video Adapter   S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (Microsoft Corporation)  (32 MB)
3D Accelerator   S3 ProSavageDDR
Monitor   LG StudioWorks 563A/563N  [15" CRT]  (123447653)

Multimedia   
Audio Adapter   VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage   
IDE Controller   VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive   Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive   ST380011A  (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive   HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B  (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status   OK

Partitions   
C: (FAT32)   15249 MB (13592 MB free)
D: (FAT32)   12201 MB (4377 MB free)
E: (FAT32)   15249 MB (8537 MB free)
F: (FAT32)   15249 MB (9866 MB free)
G: (FAT32)   18299 MB (7113 MB free)
Total Size   74.5 GB (42.5 GB free)

Input   
Keyboard   Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse   PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network   
Network Adapter   Huawei MT882 USB Remote Network Device  (192.168.1.2)
Network Adapter   VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport  (169.254.237.209)

Peripherals   
Printer   Canon S200SP
USB1 Controller   VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB Device   Generic USB Hub
USB Device   Huawei MT882 USB Remote Network Device

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    Re: VIA Rhine ethernet adpater troubleshooting
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:30:36 AM »
    Have you checked the network cable?
    Are your sure that the other network port/connector is working fine? (the network cable has 2 ends :) and I mean the connector from the other side, not your network card).

From your description it seems that you have connected the computer to a USB network device, a Huawei router. Your VIA card has an 169 IP. Is there a cable connected to your network card? What network do you have (more general words about your network would help). Is there any DHCP server, in the network part with Ethernet cables? (start->run->ipconfig /all >c:\ip.txt and paste here the c:\ip.txt content).

(OH MY GOD! DO YOU STILL USE A 15" CRT MONITOR??? It's "ancient" even in third world countries...)

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:21:28 PM »
      (OH MY GOD! DO YOU STILL USE A 15" CRT MONITOR??? It's "ancient" even in third world countries...)

HEY!  Back off the CRT crowd, not all of us have Mommy and Daddy around to buy us the new flash 19" LCD TFT screens, and not all of us have more money than sense.

But to the OP, have you tried installing the driver that originally came with the machine, it'll be on a disc you got with the computer, seeing as you can't connect for long enough to d/l the newer ones.

If not, then try d/ling it on another machine, and burning it to disk, and doing things that way.

comwizz

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 11:42:05 PM »
      Hi all,
      Thanks for your help.Really appreciate you all taking some time out to help others. I tried reinstalling the driver many times but nothing much happens. I am trying to configure a LAN (Home Network ) with my laptop. The laptop has got no problems with its network card. The Huawei router is for accessing the net ( Broadband).
      It works intermittently , how I dont know , the only thing is that when some trouble occurs ... the LAN cord when not connected on both ends still shows that LAN is connected and working properly when infact it should be showing that "A cable is unplugged ".

Heres the ip config :
      Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SMIT

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-95-D0-49-42

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Huawei MT882 USB Remote Network Device

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-A3-51-A4-52

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 61.1.96.69

PS: Why would one need to buy an LCD if a CRT would suffice . My personal experience with a CRT is better than LCD .... has reduction in clarity when viewed at angles. And we dont need 50 " screens for doing coding or some other basic work.abt the TFT screens ... personally no need ...wud get one when I earn some bucks myself

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:58:38 PM »
      I would try a brand new PCI NIC card...there pretty reasonable.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »
        Ditto Patio.  Replace the NIC.

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

viking

Adviser
          « Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 11:57:34 PM »

HEY!  Back off the CRT crowd, not all of us have Mommy and Daddy around to buy us the new flash 19" LCD TFT screens, and not all of us have more money than sense.

Oh, well... Not my "Mommy and Daddy" bought me LCDs. Your eyes, your money, your opinion. I strongly advise to replace that old monitor with a newer one, preferably LCD. NOTE: this is my opinion! I can tell you that even LCD's have flicker, and if you dont' have good hardware you may even say that's it's much more annoying than the old crt. In this summer I will check a BenQ T720 with a Nvidia GeForce MX 440, on a Duron 700 which is 7 years old (the Duron computer/videocard, not the LCD).

A 19" LCd it's near 200 USD (I suppose you live in the US; I'm living in Romania, a poor country in east Europe), a 17" it's close to 100 USD (and in Romania the prices are higher than in USA). A 15" CRT you won't even find here. Oh, well, maybe at 2nd hand - MAYBE!  The smallest monitors I see are 17" crt's at least. Which have a viewable area of an 15" LCD, which costs 100 USD - in Romania, where a 7600 gt it's about 150 USD, very close to 200 USD and over.

comwizz: "media disconnected"
          Check the cable, please.
          « Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 02:54:36 AM by viking »

Sid

Apprentice
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 04:58:28 AM »

Oh, well... Not my "Mommy and Daddy" bought me LCDs. Your eyes, your money, your opinion. I strongly advise to replace that old monitor with a newer one, preferably LCD. NOTE: this is my opinion! I can tell you that even LCD's have flicker, and if you dont' have good hardware you may even say that's it's much more annoying than the old crt. In this summer I will check a BenQ T720 with a Nvidia GeForce MX 440, on a Duron 700 which is 7 years old (the Duron computer/videocard, not the LCD).

A 19" LCd it's near 200 USD (I suppose you live in the US; I'm living in Romania, a poor country in east Europe), a 17" it's close to 100 USD (and in Romania the prices are higher than in USA). A 15" CRT you won't even find here. Oh, well, maybe at 2nd hand - MAYBE!  The smallest monitors I see are 17" crt's at least. Which have a viewable area of an 15" LCD, which costs 100 USD - in Romania, where a 7600 gt it's about 150 USD, very close to 200 USD and over.

comwizz: "media disconnected"
            Check the cable, please.

Assuming makes an *censored* of you.

I'm in the UK, and don't have the dosh lying around to blow on pointless upgrades, but anyway.

viking

Adviser
              « Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 10:12:59 PM »
              [Off topic]
              If I want something to be good at my computer, really good, then I want the monitor. It is not a pointless upgrade, I thought I am doing a service if I point out something what I consider to be a problem at his computer. I do not intend to offense with my opinions, anyone is free to not agree.
              Sid, I'm apologizing if I said something wrong.
              [/Off topic]
              « Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:54:41 PM by viking »