Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gap in Add or Remove Programs list  (Read 2867 times)

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
    Gap in Add or Remove Programs list
    « on: June 13, 2007, 08:32:28 AM »
    When I open Add or Remove Programs from the Control Panel it shows 5 programs at the top but I have to scroll way down to see the remaining programs. How can I get rid of this gap in the alphabetical listing of the programs install on my computer.
    Memories fade with time, replenish them with new experiences.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      Re: Gap in Add or Remove Programs list
      « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:59:57 AM »
      hope this can help

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:21:36 PM »
      Do you have Autocad on this machine ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
        « Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »
        I ran X-setup and found several dozens of this line, each slightly different. The lines aren't between the two programs where the gap is but rather at the beginning of all the Add or Remove list.  The words (No display name) preceed them all. What do you suspect they all are? Looks to me like some kind of install shield that didn't clean itself up very well. Would it be safe to remove them all?

(No display name) RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{EE6699B3-E5AD-4E59-8F2B-207DF630670C}\setup.exe" -l0x9  /remove

Notice the word remove at the end. Some have removeonly

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
          « Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 02:34:39 PM »
          Yes I have AutoCAD 2006. Have had it for around 6 months. Haven't had any problems with it.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
            « Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 02:46:05 PM »
            this might help

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 06:25:50 PM »
            1. Start the registry editor
            2. Select [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]-[SOFTWARE]-[MICROSOFT]-[WINDOWS]-[Uninstall]
            3. Back up the Uninstall branch (step 2) by exporting it to your desktop
            4. Open the Add/Remove programs control applet. Note the last good display name in your Add/Remove program List. Then close the control panel applet.
            5. Go back to the registry editor. Find the program uninstall key from step 4 above in the registry. (Using only the branch in step 2) Select the NEXT uninstall key.
            6. Delete the uninstall keys one at a time until you find the offending uninstallation routine. After each deletion, open the Add/Remove programs applet and look at the display to see if it is fixed. Remember to CLOSE the Add/Remove program window before deleting the next key.
            7. When you find the correct key, make a note of it.
            8. Your problem is not fixed if you deleted some GOOD registry entries. At this point you MAY have deleted BOTH GOOD and BAD registry entries, depending on how lucky you were.
            9. The next step explains how to restore the registry to it's prior state.
            10. Close the registry editor. Right click on the file you saved in step 3. Select Merge.
            11. Your registry is now back to where it was ORIGINALLY.
            12. Now open your registry editor and select the key from step 7, and delete it. Your problem should now be fixed and all good entries intact.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "