Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Deep Freeze" uninstallation & Start  (Read 14460 times)

Nugz

"Deep Freeze" uninstallation & Start
« on: November 05, 2004, 01:51:43 PM »
Hi,

Several months ago I installed a piece of software called " Deep Freeze 2000 XP ". Soon after installing it, however, I realized that the programme was unsuitable for my purposes and decided to uninstall it. This is where the problem starts: the CD that I had initially used to install the software did not have an uninstall procedure so I searched the Internet
for a solution.The following uninstall procedure was what I eventually ended up using:

1. Disable DeepFreeze with the password using Shift + Double Click on the tray icon or CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + F6

2. Reboot

3. Goto the control panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Uninstall DeepFreeze

3x. You may want to reboot again, up to you.

4. After you return to desktop, open the RUN command prompt in the start menu

5. type in msconfig

6. Click the Services tab and uncheck the service named DFServ by Hyper Technologies

7. Click Apply/OK

8. Look in C:/Program Files/Hyper Technologies, look for any EXE files in there and remember their names

9. Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE and shut down the system processes that you should have remembered from step 7, there are most likely 2.

10. Go back to C:/Program Files and delete the Hyper Technologies folder

Final Step: Reboot.

If successful, the DeepFreeze icon in the system tray should be gone, and the startup time should be improved.

The above procedure did the job of removing the programme but at the expense of significantly slowing down my computer at Start-Up. Pre -“Deep Freeze” installation Start-Up time was simply a matter of seconds whereas the current Start-Up time takes over 90 seconds!

I’ve carried out all of the following actions in the hope of restoring my system’s original Start-Up time but to no effect:

•      Disk Cleanup
•      Disk Defragmenter
•      Full Virus Scan

My computer uses Windows XP Professional ( Version 2002 ).

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

merlin_2

Nageeb Saeed

Re: "Deep Freeze" uninstallation & S
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 07:39:17 AM »
Thanks for offering a solution to my problem,Merlin.

That being said,after having clicked on the link you suggested,I am non the wiser as to what exactly I should do!

Please can you clarify?

Many thanks

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 08:16:12 AM »
Disable services.

Nageeb

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 03:55:48 AM »
Disable services!?
How do I do that!?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 05:47:39 AM »
If you had read what Merlin linked you to, you should know..?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 05:48:15 AM by Raptor »

Nugz

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 05:39:00 AM »
Many thanks to Merlin for his link, which I read several times, but was unable to apply to the solution of my problem due to my complete and utterly inexcusable ignorance of basic computer terminology!

“Disable services” may speak volumes to you Forum “Gods”, but to a “mere mortal” and computer newbie such as myself, it means nothing at all!!

So, please, a little less of the condescension together with a little more help is what’s needed here.

That said, my question remains open to all:

How do I disable services?

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 06:36:02 AM »
type msconfig...in the run box... startup folder then view the website i gave you...or try this>http://www.soft32.com/download_13434.html
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 06:41:19 AM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 06:41:29 AM »
Run services.msc rather than msconfig. It's safer and recommended by the website.

I think Merlin wants you to disable the service entry the program may have created..

Nageeb

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 12:15:08 PM »
Thanks for the pointers,guys.

I'll let you how I get on.

Regards

Nugz

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 03:22:42 PM »
Found and disabled the service entry the program created. :)

Still no change in system start-up time, however. ???

Any ideas?

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 03:42:26 PM »
ms£oft says this>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022
------------------------------------------------------------------

and i say this>r ight click the  my computer icon/properties/hardware/device manager> scroll down the list  to the ide/atapi controllers> select primary channel/properties> on the device that does not have a device type select disable instead of autodetect>>> do you have  only one hard drive on your primary ide channel and a dvd drive> and a cleanup like defrag and ditch thwe temp files and net history may speed things up more...also whats may help is adavanced system optimizer from systweak
and cdr  on your two secondary ide channels<cables>  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 03:46:17 PM by merlin_2 »

Nugz

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 06:29:40 AM »
Primary IDE Channel Properties > Advanced Settings. No facility for disabling – choice between Auto detection / None only.

Yes, appears as though there is only one hard drive on Primary IDE Channel but no DVD drive.

Downloaded and ran Advanced Registry Optimizer – no change!

After carrying out above, is there any point in asking what you mean by “CDR on two secondary IDE channels ? ” Couldn’t find this!

Where to from here, guys!?

My thanks for your support and patience.

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 11:27:33 AM »
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022  this may improve boot up...check it out..

Nugz

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 02:38:34 AM »
After following Microsoft’s “Edit the Boot.ini.file”, at step “Adding an operating system”, after  typing “bootcfg … / id # ”, getting message “Error: invalid syntax.”Type “BOOTCFG/?” for usage.

Disregarding above message, I continue with remaining steps of task and guess what? Yep, you guessed it – no change!

No change! Except, that is, for my “Run” command which has disappeared from the Start menu!!

Regards