Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista and internet connection  (Read 3760 times)

markimar

Vista and internet connection
« on: June 26, 2007, 07:14:26 AM »
Hi all,
We just had to buy a new pc because our old one died.  The new Dell with vista premium on it.  We have DSL high speed internet.  Vista automticly recognized it and logged us in without having to even put in our user name and password.  But now were finding that the connection drops after about 10 min of non use.
So we have to disconnect the modem and reconnect it.
Is there a setting or something that I can do to keep the connection from timing out?

Thanks
Mark

donslibi

Re: Vista and internet connection
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:18:03 PM »
Some questions need to be answered first:

1. How are you connected to the internet? wirelessly or through a DSL modem or a LAN cable connected to a router...?

2. Did your internet connection require a username and password on the old laptop?

3. When you do connect to the internet using this new laptop, does the internet work fine and open any webpage you visit or does it show an error?

4. Have you spoken to your ISP about this problem?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 01:33:46 PM »
Double check to make sure ALL the phone outlets have a DSL line filter hooked up to them...if this doesn't help have the ISP run a line test. They can normally do this over the phone.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:40:44 PM »
Actually...

Vista's Task Manager has certain triggers that are performed if the system goes into Sleep Mode, or Hibernation.  One of these would be to go into "idle disconnect" if it is configured to do this at either of the above modes.

Unfortunately, I use XP Home, so I'm not able to direct you to the proper settings.  However, I'd check your settings, first, before monkeying with anything else.